I thought I was losing it..

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Reading the 2018 law book, 14.6 says a tackled player who has got back on their feet can play the ball from any direction. I could have sworn that changed this year, thought I.

Lo and behold the online version adds "may play the ball from the direction of their own goalline".

One for fellow newbies to be aware of..

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Yes it is all getting very confusing.

One I noticed has slipped into Law 3 Team
[LAWS]MAY 2018 LAW AMEND
15. Uncontested scrums as a result of a sending off, temporary suspension or injury must be played with eight players per side.[/LAWS]

& this

Law 5 Time
[LAWS]MAY 2018 LAW AMEND
7 c. A penalty is kicked directly to touch without the ball first being tapped and without the ball touching another player.[/LAWS]

Law 7 Advantage
[LAWS]MAY 2018 LAW AMEND
2 d.The offending team commits a second or subsequent infringement from which no advantage can be gained. The referee stops play and allows the captain of the non-offending team to choose the most advantageous sanction.[/LAWS]

Law 8 Scoring
has several amendments, as follows:

8.1 Methods and points value of scoring:
[LAWS]MAY 2018 LAW AMEND
a. Try. Five points.[/LAWS]

[LAWS]MAY 2018 LAW AMEND
c. Penalty try. Seven points.[/LAWS]

8.3 Penalty try

[LAWS]MAY 2018 LAW AMEND
No conversion is attempted.[/LAWS]

[LAWS]MAY 2018 LAW AMEND
When a try is scored, it gives that team the right to attempt a conversion, which may be a place-kick or drop-kick.[/LAWS]

Law 14 Tackle
has a couple of amendments too, 14.6 as you mentioned and one other...

[LAWS]MAY 2018 LAW AMEND
Tackles may play the ball from the direction of their own goal line provided they have complied with the above responsibilities and a ruck has not formed[/LAWS]

[LAWS]MAY 2018 LAW AMEND
Offside lines are created at a tackle when at least one player is on their feet and over the ball, which is on the ground. Each team’s offside line runs parallel to the goal line through the hindmost point of any player in the tackle or on their feet over the ball. If that point is on or behind the goal line, the offside line for that team is the goal line.[/LAWS]
(Very nice image to explain this is included in the LoTG.) But it’s larger than 40kbytes so I cannot attach it.

Law 15 Ruck
[LAWS]During a ruck players must not:
MAY 2018 LAW AMEND
15.16 e) Kick, or attempt to kick, the ball out of a ruck.[/LAWS]

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Law 17 Mark
[LAWS]17.1. Claiming a mark
b) To claim a mark the player must:
MAY 2018 LAW AMEND
Catch a ball that has reached the plane of the 22-metre line directly from an opponent’s kick before it touches the ground or another player; and[/LAWS]

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Law 18 Touch, quick throw and lineout. has the most amendments (8 in all, out of a total of 23 changes made in May of this year.) so worth a look at the link below, as its a little bit complicated to cut and paste them here. Excessive number of amendments to the variations of the LotG as well, U19 variation, Sevens and 10_a_side game.

From elsewhere on the forums.Law 19 Scrum

[LAWS]19.15
MAY 2018 LAW AMEND
When both sides are square, stable and stationary, the scrum-half throws in the ball:[/LAWS]

[LAWS]19.15 f)
MAY 2018 LAW AMEND
Straight. The scrum-half may align their shoulder on the middle line of the scrum, thereby standing a shoulder-width closer to their side of the scrum.[/LAWS]

[LAWS]MAY 2018 LAW AMEND
19.22The hooker from the team which threw in the ball must strike for the ball. Sanction: Free-kick.[/LAWS]

Law 21 In_goal. rounds up with two final amendments
[LAWS]MAY 2018 LAW AMEND
21.14 If a player, who is in in-goal, catches or picks up a ball that is still in the field of play, that player has taken the ball into in-goal.
21.15 If a player who is on or beyond the dead-ball-line, or who is in touch-in-goal, catches or picks up a ball within in-goal, that player has made the ball dead.[/LAWS]

Last edited:

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thank you. I hadn't appreciated that theprinted rulebook I got on my course a month ago was so out of date. Time to bin it and save the latest PDF to my phone I suppose!

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Get a red biro and scribble in the margins. So at least you’ll know to look up a current version. 10 laws affected by the update. So most of your paper copy is still correct.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thank you. I hadn't appreciated that theprinted rulebook I got on my course a month ago was so out of date. Time to bin it and save the latest PDF to my phone I suppose!

Download the law app, it updates automatically.

tewdric

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I swapped my iPhone for a Samsung so can't!