I'd just like to say ....

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Conclusions:
1. Bairstow can't be first choice keeper. Foakes in, and Crawley or Duckett to go.
2. Ollie Robinson is a weapons grade arse. You want to go swear at a batter, take a swing at Warner. Or Marnus, who would love it. To go after Ussie, who has just finished smacking you all over the park AND is one of the nicest people in the game is just asinine. Or is because Ussie is very obviously not white?
3. Nathan Lyons is irritating to the opposition. Guaranteed to knock off a few runs that might just be crucial. My boss and I had a discussion for 45 minutes aout the match, and had Lyons down for an 8-15 runs spread to make the difference.
4. Warner needs something big next game, or he's done. My wife is convinced he will, as the Universe does, regress to the mean and keep delivering; I'm convinced that he will keep flashing away at anything wide outside off, and keep getting out.

Jz558

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Cracking finish to the game which was nip and tuck all the way through. The decision to declare was interesting given that Root was still in having scored a hundred but was one of those where if England had taken a wicket or two before the close it would have been seen as genius. Ultimately we didnt score the runs we should have in the second innings and you cant waste as many chances as we did in the field (something that has become something of a norm in the last year or so)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'd bet the Aussies wouldn't have declared on 1st day. Brave or stupid decision?
It is what it is.

We may as well say

IF
catches hadnt been dropped
stumpings had been missed
Root hadnt played a stupid shot
Moeen's finger hadn't split
Stokes knee isnt stuffed

etc etc etc

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Conclusions:
1. Bairstow can't be first choice keeper. Foakes in, and Crawley or Duckett to go.
2. Ollie Robinson is a weapons grade arse. You want to go swear at a batter, take a swing at Warner. Or Marnus, who would love it. To go after Ussie, who has just finished smacking you all over the park AND is one of the nicest people in the game is just asinine. Or is because Ussie is very obviously not white?
3. Nathan Lyons is irritating to the opposition. Guaranteed to knock off a few runs that might just be crucial. My boss and I had a discussion for 45 minutes aout the match, and had Lyons down for an 8-15 runs spread to make the difference.
4. Warner needs something big next game, or he's done. My wife is convinced he will, as the Universe does, regress to the mean and keep delivering; I'm convinced that he will keep flashing away at anything wide outside off, and keep getting out.
Good points Simon.

I would have left out the part questioning whether Ollie Robinson is a rascist. In fact, I would suggest that it was because they couldn’t get him out that he resorted to the verbals. Nothing new there!

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Let's cut the tosh about "Bazball" The Aussies were scoring at over 5 an over in tests 20 years ago. To suggest this is something special about Stokes and co to crap.

You play to the strengths of the players you have at the time.

The declaration was fair enough. Every declaration is a risk. Bowlers always fancy a few overs at the openers after a long day in the field and then a fresh crack in the morning.

The Truth is, as good as England may be, thry are not a good as the british press hype. Nothing new there!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
an aside ... compared to the dross of the later 90s stewart era, and the negativity of the noughties (think Ashley Giles bowling left arm over a foot outside leg stump...) I'll take this england team any time. its not becasue they smash the ball everywhere - its because (although that is true) they actually seem to be enjoying themselves, are being positive, having a go.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Agreed Didds. But please can we stop this crap suggeting they have "re-invented" cricket.

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
You mean apart from the ban he's already served for being racist?
Yes, apart from his teenage indiscretions.

Truthfully, it is quite possible that he is a rascist, but I think it’s a little inappropriate to suggest it because of his actions in this test. After all he used rude, but not rascist language.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yes, apart from his teenage indiscretions.

Truthfully, it is quite possible that he is a rascist, but I think it’s a little inappropriate to suggest it because of his actions in this test. After all he used rude, but not rascist language.
What did he say? As he has a history of racist behaviour. Experience suggests possible racist overtones.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If I had form with racist comments, I reckon the last person I'd be sledging is Kuwaja. Unless I just don't give a shit

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
an aside ... compared to the dross of the later 90s stewart era, and the negativity of the noughties (think Ashley Giles bowling left arm over a foot outside leg stump...) I'll take this england team any time. its not becasue they smash the ball everywhere - its because (although that is true) they actually seem to be enjoying themselves, are being positive, having a go.
Nothing wrong with a bit of Bazball 👍