Identifiying the players following foul play.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
We have all had it in games were the players get involved in handbags and fisticuffs which can then resemble an episode of WWE with players coming from all angles to have a go.

How you then identify the players involved comes down to your keen eye and the ability to register players numbers or distinguishing marks such as having the only afro on the pitch or being the only bald man on the pitch except in some cases when the referee is also follically challenged.

Not so in this case of a rugby brawl – the players were easily identified by the CCTV and also by the clear ID of the players involved by their characters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-30852849

Wholly unacceptable for professional rugby players to put themselves in this sort of situation over what appears to be an argument about a seat and now face further disciplinary action from the SRU.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/31023186

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
So Crayon, previously pencilled in, has now been rubbed out !

Im picturing .....
thwack_2in.png

serie_bam.jpg

fc,220x200,black.jpg

& to think....., they only went in to the restaurant for ....Dinner,Dinner,Dinner,Dinner - Dinner, Dinner, Dinner, Dinner ....:biggrin:

Next time go dressed as the invisible man.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
am i the only one who is slightly concerned that he could avoid a criminal conviction by paying €10k? appreciate that it's always been the case that the wealthy can pay better lawyers etc, but to be so obvious about it...

edit - i have zero knowledge of how the criminal system works in the uk, so this could be entirely standard i suppose...

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
am i the only one who is slightly concerned that he could avoid a criminal conviction by paying €10k? appreciate that it's always been the case that the wealthy can pay better lawyers etc, but to be so obvious about it...

edit - i have zero knowledge of how the criminal system works in the uk, so this could be entirely standard i suppose...

Didn't Bernie Eccelstone get off a bribery charge....................by paying a large amount of money to the court?

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
DC
You are right, that's going back to the era of rotten boroughs. If the rugby player had been poor....he would have been convicted!!!! End of chat
Rich: No conviction Poor: Conviction.

We will have some serious explaining to do to our grandchildren.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
:)

he he - - I love the internet : if anyone had asked you guys yesterday : What is your opinion of the use of Probation Orders in the Criminal Justice System in the Republic of Ireland - you'd have looked blankly and said 'WTF? I haven't got a clue!'

but this morning you have such strong opinions about them !

Probation orders
The Probation of Offenders Act 1907 (pdf) provides the courts with a way of dealing with first time offenders and offenders who are unlikely to be in trouble again, by giving them a type of official warning without imposing a sentence on them. If a probation order is made, as well as requiring you to be of good behaviour, it may also contain certain conditions such as:

•Payment of compensation
•Residing at a particular place
•Supervision
•Any other conditions considered necessary to prevent a repeat of the offence (for example, attending counselling)
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/criminal_law/criminal_trial/types_of_sentences.html

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Huh crossref? If I didn't know that somebody was going to be murdered tomorrow I wouldn't be able to have strong views, but I might the following day. You don't know something's wrong until it does something wrong.

So, even STILL knowing nothing about Probation Orders, I do know in this case

Rich= no criminal record, Poor = Criminal record.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
you are making the claim that Probation Orders in the Republic of Ireland are given disproportionately often to richer offenders...

Your evidence for the claim is that you have only ever heard of one, and the person who got that was rich.
Perhaps the PO are given because the Irish courts unfairly favour sportsmen.

You have leaped to the conclusion he got a PO becasue he was rich.
More likely he got it for the reason stated

The Probation of Offenders Act 1907 (pdf) provides the courts with a way of dealing with first time offenders and offenders who are unlikely to be in trouble again

Last edited:

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi Crossref

I see entirely your point. What I am saying is that if this guy didn't have £10,000 he'd have a criminal record.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
or perhaps if he didn't have £10,000 they'd still have given him the probation order, for the same reasons, but he'd have esacaped having to pay any compensation ?

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Ohhhh Kaaaaay, I'll leave you be while you create your alternate reality, let me know if you need anything from Earth. :)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Ohhhh Kaaaaay, I'll leave you be while you create your alternate reality, let me know if you need anything from Earth. :)
Somehow I don't find that a convincing riposte.