"I'll be back" said....

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
The sofa is a rubbish place to watch a game of rugby. And seeing as some of the elite boys are having such a 'mare in the six nations, I've made a decision. 14 months after trashing my right knee, a period during which I've lurked in the public spaces here, off and on, I've tentatively decided to give it another go as a society ref. next season.

I'm currently doing my local running club's "learning to run" course and am up at 4km of jogging in 20 mins after 3 weeks with a view to working up to 6km over the next 7 weeks. One of the coaches there is helping me with some of the change of direction stuff and is going to work with me on short sprints on the track once the clocks go back. Cycling has kept my leg strength and CV fitness up to the mark.

Plan is to start off avoiding the 'joys' of Saturday's altogether, and stick to Sunday mornings and midweek games. I'll probably have a crack as club ref on a few Sundays at the end of this season.

Wish me luck :eek:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The sofa is a rubbish place to watch a game of rugby. And seeing as some of the elite boys are having such a 'mare in the six nations, I've made a decision. 14 months after trashing my right knee, a period during which I've lurked in the public spaces here, off and on, I've tentatively decided to give it another go as a society ref. next season.

I'm currently doing my local running club's "learning to run" course and am up at 4km of jogging in 20 mins after 3 weeks with a view to working up to 6km over the next 7 weeks. One of the coaches there is helping me with some of the change of direction stuff and is going to work with me on short sprints on the track once the clocks go back. Cycling has kept my leg strength and CV fitness up to the mark.

Plan is to start off avoiding the 'joys' of Saturday's altogether, and stick to Sunday mornings and midweek games. I'll probably have a crack as club ref on a few Sundays at the end of this season.

Wish me luck :eek:

Welcome back!!!!

You've been missed - but not by me!

How's the knee?

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Good on yer Greg. Well done with the rehab and what a wise man for avoiding the traditional Saturday punch up.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
How's the knee?

It goes, slowly, from strength-to-strength under the guidance of a local sports physio. I guess old bodies take a long time to repair. The fractures are healed the ligaments are ok, though we are only doing a little bit of twisty turny stuff at the moment for now. The nerve damage is permanent; however this is turning out to be less of an impediment that was feared.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Welcome back. :biggrin:

AlanT

Referees in England
Post Likes
Greg,

Good on ya, squire.

Presumably you'll be back on the committee, too!

Did Lewes v Hove today in U18 cup SF. There were two men's finals on the other pitch with teams of three. I could have put them to better use on my match!

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
Greg,

Good on ya, squire.

Presumably you'll be back on the committee, too!

Did Lewes v Hove today in U18 cup SF. There were two men's finals on the other pitch with teams of three. I could have put them to better use on my match!

wild horses et cetera!