In at the deep end

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I had my first society match last week and I was also assessed. I got the appointment at 6:30 pm on Friday so no real time to worry about things, just plenty of preparation and double checking.

I have done my ELRA3 self assessed games with our U14’s and also a university 7’s tournament so this was also my first adult 80 mins match. I coach U8's and have not played since colts 25 years ago.

Home team II 34 –v- Away team IV 3 Game Level 11

Description

Skill levels were in keeping with a level 11 game which Mark tried to keep flowing. It was a very niggly game with one major flare up which was very well handled with a yellow to each team which quietened things down for a while. Mark then had to issue a red card to an away team player for throwing a punch. The niggle continued and Mark had to issue 2 further yellow cards and as the home team player had already received a yellow he was then correctly shown red.

Mark managed the game very well and was always in control. His use of cards was not an over reaction but was correct.

He developed a good empathy with the players and obviously has a sound knowledge of the laws, particularly the tackle law.

Had a very good game.

Areas for improvement

You spent a long time on the blind side. If you move to the open side more often and angle your body more you will have a wider vision of the game and will help you move more easily to keep up with play.

Watch for players not retreating fully at rucks, this leads to frustration and players sorting things out. At this level consider blowing up ruck and mauls earlier to stop this frustration creeping in. It will also cut down on any fringing.

Need to develop secondary signals and differential whistle. These will come with experience.

Strengths

Good setting of scrums and lineouts
Good empathy, not afraid to explain decisions.
Controlled o/s in backs very well.
Good advantage played
Didn’t shirk responsibility

This referee is capable of refereeing at the next level of the game

I'm pretty pleased with that but I would appreciate your comments, cheers.

Casey Bee

Referees in England
Post Likes
Think you said before you're at a similar stage to me... I'm yet to do my first official appointment.

Reads like you did a very competent job, particularly considering the teams didn't seem like they were going to give you an easy run of it and made you work the cards, all of which were correct.
Seems like you ran the game very well and you've been given some good pointers to continue your development.
I'd be very pleased to have a report like yours!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Sound like a tough game for your first appointment well done.
Areas for improvement are fairly standard so don't dwell on that too much just think about how you will improve those aspects in the next game.:clap:

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well done, like I said on Thursday, it's a very good report! It takes a lot of guts to get the cards out on your first proper appointment, but it seems that they were very necessary!

Oh, how did the meeting go last night? I couldn't get there as I didn't manage to find anyone who could've given me a lift.

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
.....Oh, how did the meeting go last night? I couldn't get there as I didn't manage to find anyone who could've given me a lift.

Very interesting meeting. Talk from an RFU regional development Officer about how they are coaching the tackle/breakdown and we looked at clips from a refs & coaches point of view, some conflict & some harmony.

Regarding a lift, I think that you have my number USE IT

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Very interesting meeting. Talk from an RFU regional development Officer about how they are coaching the tackle/breakdown and we looked at clips from a refs & coaches point of view, some conflict & some harmony.

Regarding a lift, I think that you have my number USE IT

Shame I missed it really. You live so far away, I thought it'd be too much of a detour for you. I normally get a lift from one of two people who live within a mile of me but I couldn't contact either of them.

What were the interpretations? Are they going to post the clips on the website?

jeff

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Bunniksider) well done you have done well in your first game.
1 point i will give you is what was given to me by an r.f.u advisor is when you are at a ruck/tackl/ scrum/maul/,
Think to yourself is there any where i could/should be, in a place better than where i am, to see whats going on at the tackle area/ maul/ruck etc to watch the offside lines,to get a better view all round.
that as stuck with me and it works for me and i can then adjust to a better place, also keep on your toes at the tackle, ruck and maul.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Great report for any game, let alone a first one, Bunniksider. L.11 is quite high for a first outing, and the advisor thinks you are worthy of even higher level games. Many (most?) of us took a year or more to get to that stage! It sounds as though your knowledge of laws is excellent, which means you can focus on application of them in the heat of the moment, rather than recalling too late what the law said about the thing you've just seen. The areas to work on are pretty trivial in the great scheme of things. A great place to be.

A word of caution; at this stage of your career, you may well find that it's one step forward, two steps back. If your next few games throw up different challenges that you struggle to handle as well as you did the many in this game, don't get discouraged or think that you are going backwards; i fact, having got off to a flying start, you may just be picking up the knocks that hold you in good stead in future years under the heading "experience".

I hope it all carries on to be plain sailing. Best of luck.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Good report, well done.

There may be a hint in there that you need to work out why "niggle", which you managed well, develops in the first place.

The report mentions players failing to retire properly at rucks, staying offside and thus able to close down play - the report mentions that this can lead to frustration, and players sorting it out for themselves.

It may be that if you can get this sorted out then the amount of niggle you need to manage will decrease rapidly...

Bunniksider

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Good report, well done.

There may be a hint in there that you need to work out why "niggle", which you managed well, develops in the first place.

The report mentions players failing to retire properly at rucks, staying offside and thus able to close down play - the report mentions that this can lead to frustration, and players sorting it out for themselves.

It may be that if you can get this sorted out then the amount of niggle you need to manage will decrease rapidly...

I agree, I assumed afterwards that the niggle was my fault for not controlling the rucks/mauls tighter.

I subsequently learned that the reverse fixture was also a feisty affair with the current losers coming out strong winners in that game. I now believe that it was going to be a bit of a grudge match come what may and with the visitors not getting on top as they may have expected to this compounded things.

I think that tighter control of the breakdowns could have partially solved the problems but maybe not completely. It is this part of my game I intend to focus on. Set out my stall, ping them early, so they know what I want at the breakdowns.

I will also do a bit more research on previous matches and any history between the teams.

Last edited:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I think that tighter control of the breakdowns could have partially solved the problems but maybe not completely. It is this part of my game I intend to focus on. Set out my stall, ping them early, so they know what I want at the breakdowns.

Good - it will pay huge dividends.

I will also do a bit more research on previous matches and any history between the teams.

To an extent - be aware of what the issues may be, league positions, local derby, etc. - but beware of prejudging too much, approach each game as a new event. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you know how he game will pan out before it kicks off. (I'm sure you won't, anyway)

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
There are two schools of thought on this. One says its a sensible precaution, forewarned being forearmed, giving you all the informnation you need to ensure that your management is a tight as it needs to be.

The other school says that you should not arrive at any game with preconceived notions, and you should referee what's in front of you, not a continuation of a previous encounter.

IMO, there is middle ground in which you are aware of any history (which allows you to jump on transgressions as appropriate) but you call what you see. Others take the view that like advertising, you are subliminally affected by your prior knowledge, and will ref the game differently. It's your call, but be aware of the risks of each approach.