Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
  • Below is from app . ( in goal )
  • See bit in bold .
  • Surely it makes no sense ?
  • If this person with foot over dead ball line , picks up a ball
  • From in , in goal , then surely he made it dead .
  • Am i reading this wrong ..
  • If any part of a defending player is in in-goal, that player is considered to be in in-goal, provided they are not also in touch or on or over the dead-ball line.
  • If a player, who is in in-goal, catches or picks up a ball that is still in the field of play, that player has taken the ball into in-goal.
  • If a player who is on or beyond the dead-ball line or who is in touch-in-goal, picks up a moving ball within in-goal, that player is not deemed to have made the ball dead.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The Law book can't really be wrong . It defines the Law

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
If a player who is on or beyond the dead-ball line or who is in touch-in-goal, picks up a moving ball within in-goal, that player is not deemed to have made the ball dead.
You were quoting the 2018 law book. The 2019 version (on-line) says
[LAWS]21.15 [FONT=fs_blakeregular]If a player who is on or beyond the dead-ball-line, or who is in touch-in-goal, catches or picks up a ball within in-goal, that player has made the ball dead.[/FONT][/LAWS]
The distinction between a moving ball and a stationary one has been removed and they have corrected the error.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Perhaps they confused themselves, since an ingoal player is allowed pick up the ball to touch down nearer the posts.
[LAWS]21.2
Picking up a ball is not grounding it. A player may pick up the ball in in-goal and ground it elsewhere in in-goal.[/LAWS]

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well that's interesting, the app still has the 2018 version

There is the problem with making unhighlighted changes to the Law Book . . Even the app designers are caught out

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
You were quoting the 2018 law book. The 2019 version (on-line) says
[LAWS]21.15 [FONT=fs_blakeregular]If a player who is on or beyond the dead-ball-line, or who is in touch-in-goal, catches or picks up a ball within in-goal, that player has made the ball dead.[/FONT][/LAWS]
The distinction between a moving ball and a stationary one has been removed and they have corrected the error.

Thanks ob .
I thought my app was new version .
Arent they suppose to automticall up date ,,if changes are added .

Ill see if i can find the current app .
Or am i simply better off logging onto world rugby every time & read their laws