In the substitution, 8 people have been completed.

sungwon

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In the substitution, 8 people have been completed. If one row is injured Can we take one row in to replace the injured person? And must 14 player?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
depends on competition regs, but if you are watching the world cup, yes

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Not comp reg. its in Law!

Law 3.33

Tactically replaced (substitured) players MAY return to play only when replacing :

a. An injured front-row player ....

So yes in all cases the law allows the replace ment of an INJURED front-row player by a substituted player.

sungwon

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I want to know when all 8 players have been changed. And one first row is injured. We can substitute another player from first row return to play. Will we have to remove players from other positions out? Like in the case of sin bin.Thank you

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I want to know when all 8 players have been changed. And one first row is injured. We can substitute another player from first row return to play. Will we have to remove players from other positions out? Like in the case of sin bin.Thank you
Read law 3.33 as quited in post #3

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If normal substitutions apply, and all have been used, an uninjured but replaced player (any position) may return to the game to replace an injured front row player to enable contested scrums to continue. No man-off required. If there is not someone available to enable contested scrums, then the injured FR is not replaced, uncontested scrums and team down to 14 players.

If interchanges were being played, then once they are all complete no more changes may occur, for any reason.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
If normal substitutions apply, and all have been used, an uninjured but replaced player (any position) may return to the game to replace an injured front row player to enable contested scrums to continue. No man-off required. If there is not someone available to enable contested scrums, then the injured FR is not replaced, uncontested scrums and team down to 14 players.

If interchanges were being played, then once they are all complete no more changes may occur, for any reason.
I'd say 3.33 overrides the use of all interchanges as it is a law about FR safety.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
as i9n ... "And must 14 player?"
Clearly not it is a permited substitution. Fair ply the law makers are pretty clear on this one.

3.33 Indicated 4 exceptions to a tactically replace player returning to the game. They are exceptions for very clear reasons.
a. So thats scrums may continue properly and safely.
b. Player safety, to allow blood to be treated.
c. Player safety, to prevent players playing on in the event of concussion.
d. So foul play is not rewarded.

Why do you think this only applies to the RWC or if specific comp regs apply? It is in the law book.

I would further extrapolate (simple logic) that all these exceptions apply when the rolling subs limit has been reached.

Man off law is covered elswhere and is specific in its coverage.

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Ive completely misunderstood the original question I think. And still don't understand it - mea ciulpa.

Ignore my drivel above.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I'd say 3.33 overrides the use of all interchanges as it is a law about FR safety.
I had overlooked that Interchanges are governed by the match organiser's regulations. And for RFU they state:

"Save as permitted by the Laws of the Game, after the Player Interchanges have been made no other replacements or Player Interchanges will be permitted for any reason (including temporary or permanent injuries, sending offs and suspensions) and if a Player is injured, sent off or suspended from the field the team will play with one less Player and with uncontested scrums if this involves a front row Player, and the game cannot continue safely with contested scrums."

I thought that this clearly overrides WR 3.33, if only for RFU matches. I am prepared to concede that 3.33 could be invoked as "permitted by the Laws", although I would like to see an example where it has been accepted.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I had overlooked that Interchanges are governed by the match organiser's regulations. And for RFU they state:

"Save as permitted by the Laws of the Game, after the Player Interchanges have been made no other replacements or Player Interchanges will be permitted for any reason (including temporary or permanent injuries, sending offs and suspensions) and if a Player is injured, sent off or suspended from the field the team will play with one less Player and with uncontested scrums if this involves a front row Player, and the game cannot continue safely with contested scrums."

I thought that this clearly overrides WR 3.33, if only for RFU matches. I am prepared to concede that 3.33 could be invoked as "permitted by the Laws", although I would like to see an example where it has been accepted.
Honestly curious: what else would "save as permitted by the laws of the game" refer to?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
this is an area that perhaps should be taken out of the Laws completely, instead leaving it to competition organisers to just specify?
The context is so different in elite games, high standard amateur games, grass roots games.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Honestly curious: what else would "save as permitted by the laws of the game" refer to?
Probably a catch-all phrase in case they had overlooked something, or the Laws changed. But in this case it would have been really easy, simple and clear, to state "except under WR 3.33".