[Law] Incorrect Mark

fzxjkg

Referees in America
Post Likes
I had a player ask me about a call made by a ref in an earlier game. Red kicks off to Green to start the game. Just before Green catches the ball he calls out Mark. As the player was about to get destroyed by the Red charge the ref blows the whistle to prevent dangerous play. Green makes clean catch. The ref explains to Green that they cannot call Mark from a kick off; however, he restarts with a scrum ball given to Green for the put-in.

Just curious about how others would have handled that. My thought is that if there was time I would call Play On loudly, but if not I would stop play to prevent a serious injury. Since Green caused the problem I would have probably given Red the option of re-kick, or scrum at the point of the error - put in to Red.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I have no problem whatsoever with the whistle for safety's sake.

However, Red is clearly the "attacking side" (in Green half) and should have had the put in to the scrum.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I wouldn't whistle; call "no mark" or "play on" or similar and there would be a brief explanation at the next appropriate moment.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
[LAWS](d) Scrum after any other stoppage. After any other stoppage or irregularity not covered by Law, the team that was moving forward before the stoppage throws in the ball. If neither team was moving forward, the attacking team throws in the ball.[/LAWS]

so red put in

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Agree red put in. Stopping play is the best if it prevents potential injury from the error. Only play on if practical and safe.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I had a player ask me about a call made by a ref in an earlier game. Red kicks off to Green to start the game. Just before Green catches the ball he calls out Mark. As the player was about to get destroyed by the Red charge the ref blows the whistle to prevent dangerous play. Green makes clean catch. The ref explains to Green that they cannot call Mark from a kick off; however, he restarts with a scrum ball given to Green for the put-in.

Just curious about how others would have handled that. My thought is that if there was time I would call Play On loudly, but if not I would stop play to prevent a serious injury. Since Green caused the problem I would have probably given Red the option of re-kick, or scrum at the point of the error - put in to Red.
So he stopped any sort of tackle happening before it occured, how did he know it was going to be a dangerous tackle?

IMO he got it wrong, should have just shouted "play on" and if there was an illegal action at the tackle stop it then.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So he stopped any sort of tackle happening before it occured, how did he know it was going to be a dangerous tackle?

This is one of those "know it when you see it" situations.

If the catcher appears to become relaxed after the catch and not prepared to be tackled, it may be prudent safety-wise to blow it up.

chrismtl

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'd say it depends greatly on the level being played and the apparent game knowledge of the players involved. If this was a game above the bottom level of senior rugby or top level schools or age grade, then play on. If this is inexperienced players who have no clue about what's going on, whistle and give the scrum to the kicking team.

On a side note, this once happened in a game I was playing in where one of our players' names was Mark and instead of saying "Mark's ball" he just yelled "Mark" off of the KO when he was inside his 22, not even realizing the situation. Ref just played on and the 2 of them had a bit of a chuckle at the next stoppage.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
On a side note, this once happened in a game I was playing in where one of our players' names was Mark and instead of saying "Mark's ball" he just yelled "Mark" off of the KO when he was inside his 22, not even realizing the situation. Ref just played on and the 2 of them had a bit of a chuckle at the next stoppage.

Had a similar one where everyone heard a loud "Mark, Mark". Turns out it was a dog with a hare lip. True story.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
You cunny funt. :biggrin:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
sounds like a "hangover" from a "safe catch" in US Football.

don't whistle play on, wait for the catch, if it's made give the MARK. But make a point of letting the player know they have to catch it first then call MARK :wink:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd say it depends greatly on the level being played and the apparent game knowledge of the players involved. If this was a game above the bottom level of senior rugby or top level schools or age grade, then play on. If this is inexperienced players who have no clue about what's going on, whistle and give the scrum to the kicking team.

it's only really about the knowledge of ONE player - the catcher. If it appears that he is genuinely claiming a mark, relaxes and is completely unprepared for a tackle, then you do have a potential safety issue.

whether or not to blow also depends on the oppo
- is he in the middle of a crowded pitch, and about to get enveloped in a maul ? play on,
- is he about get creamed by a 100kg centre travelling at 20 kmh ? safety might dictate a whistle

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So do you blow up for safety if a player is about to receive a hospital pass high over his head standing still?

Do you blow up for safety if a player isn't paying attention when a ball is passed to him and three "bigger boys" see it first and are about to hit him as he receives an unexpected pass?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So do you blow up for safety if a player is about to receive a hospital pass high over his head standing still?

Do you blow up for safety if a player isn't paying attention when a ball is passed to him and three "bigger boys" see it first and are about to hit him as he receives an unexpected pass?

very different situations

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
very different situations

Not really. To quote from an earlier post the player is "relaxed and is completely unprepared for a tackle".

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Not really. To quote from an earlier post the player is "relaxed and is completely unprepared for a tackle".

The hospital pass I'd say is a different situation, but the passing a ball to someone who's not expecting it isn't so different - though there must be something different since I have some sympathy for the referee stopping play in the OP, but I wouldn't if the player just wasn't expecting the ball.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
sounds like a "hangover" from a "safe catch" in US Football.

don't whistle play on, wait for the catch, if it's made give the MARK. But make a point of letting the player know they have to catch it first then call MARK :wink:

Red kicks off to Green to start the game. Just before Green catches the ball he calls out Mark.

You mean other than a restart, right?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
even if you weren't expecting the ball .... when the ball arrives you're certainly expecting trouble!

the danger in the OP is that someone has the ball in his hands and thinks the whistle has gone.

a parallel situation might be someone who stops at the sound of a whistle from the next pitch.

or we once spoke about someone tossing the ball from the touch line to his hooker, as he approaches to take the lineout, and the danger of treating that as a QTI if it wasn't meant to be.

But all of these are going to be very rare.

Last edited:

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I completely disagree with stopping the game just because the player is going to get monstered. If you well "play on" then they should react enough to brace for a tackle or pass the ball.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I completely disagree with stopping the game just because the player is going to get monstered. If you well "play on" then they should react enough to brace for a tackle or pass the ball.

what does 'monstered' mean ? is it the same as ''seriously injured' ?

(But yes, in practice I do agree that 'PLAY ON' is almost always going to be the correct call)