Interesting call for the video ref averted.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Was watching a bit of Super League the other day and saw a potential interesting decision for the video ref. Apologies, but I cannot recall the game (maybe Bradford??) but Steve Ganson was refereeing.

A player went in for a score, but deliberately did not put the ball down as he crashed over, hoping to ground the ball much closer to the posts. Ganson did not realise this and blew for time off as the player got up to run under the posts and asked the video ref for advice. As it turns out, the try was chalked off for a problem earlier in the play.

My question is what would have happened if there was no problem with the play - clearly a try was about to be scored, but no grounding had occurred. Is there any room for common sense, or would it have been ruled out. How would you restart???

PS. Same question for the union refs - although the circumstances of it being sent upstairs would clearly be different.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Happened to Roy Laidlaw against, I think, Ireland.

He scootched over, didn't ground it and wanted to run under the sticks only to be called back and given the try where he had hit the ground.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Would rule the same as if a player had run into me in-goal while carrying the ball and award the try at the place where the interference occurred. Law 6.3:

3. A try is scored when:–
(e) an attacking player carrying the ball comes into
contact with the Referee or a Touch Judge or an
encroaching spectator in the opponents’ in-goal
and play is thereby irregularly affected.

4. The Try is awarded:–
(d) where contact took place if scored as in 3(e)
above.

And then go and look for a hole in the ground to disappear into.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I cannot recall the game (maybe Bradford??) but Steve Ganson was refereeing.
Always the problem with League. How much "Bosh, tackle; Bosh, tackle; Bosh, tackle; Bosh, tackle; Bosh, tackle; kick" can you take before it all merges into one nightmare of lost hoours that can never be recovered?

My question is what would have happened if there was no problem with the play - clearly a try was about to be scored, but no grounding had occurred. Is there any room for common sense, or would it have been ruled out. How would you restart???

PS. Same question for the union refs - although the circumstances of it being sent upstairs would clearly be different.
Can't comment on the League situation. In Union, tough call. I wonder if the TMO could act in the ref's stead by applying a sort of 6.A.10 provision, whereby he can decide what would have happened next? Technically, however, the TMO should only be consulted as to whether the try has or has not been scored. His opinion on that front would have to be No. it would then be up to the ref to decide what to do thereafter.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Always the problem with League. How much "Bosh, tackle; Bosh, tackle; Bosh, tackle; Bosh, tackle; Bosh, tackle; kick" can you take before it all merges into one nightmare of lost hoours that can never be recovered? .

Wow Dixie what a poor comment, We have really Crap Games too you know

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Wow Dixie what a poor comment, We have really Crap Games too you know
I couldn't find the :tongueincheek: emoticon. Had hoped it might be implicit - apologies to anyone offended by my post - thankfully you're all Oop North so we'll never meet :tongueincheek:

RLRef1984

Referees in England
Post Likes
Oh due to my job I get a free train pass so it can be arranged :chair: I couldnt find a kick tennis or sumo wrestling smilie on their either whats up with that. Only kidding

Id go for a scrum ten metres out as laws only provide for the player touching the ref and a week off for the ref