International Defence Rugby Challenge 2011

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The IDRC 2011 organisers have asked me to spread the word regarding the tournament via social media, so I was hoping you could help me spread the word. I was also hoping Robbie would forgive me for advertising???

Website - http://www.idrc2011.com
Twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/IDRC2011
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Defence-Rugby-Challenge/191277877611330

12 international teams (10 defence and two police teams) will be competing in this inaugural competition in the period 01-22 October 2011. It will be held in Sydney, Canberra and Auckland and hosted by both the Australian Defence Force (ADF) and the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF). The competition has been approved by the International Rugby Board (IRB) and has the full support of the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) and the New Zealand Rugby Union (NZRU).

Competing teams are Australia, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Tonga, France, South Africa, China, Royal Navy, British Army, Royal Air Force, Samoa Police and the Australian Federal Police.

Ireland, Argentina, Canada, Japan and the USA were also invited to compete but for a variety of reasons were unable to do so.

The 12 teams will be divided into four pools of three teams each with all pool matches being played in the same location on the same day. Pool matches will be played at Viking Park at Tuggeranong in Canberra and the T.G. Millner Field at Eastwood in Sydney. The Quarter Finals will also be played at the T.G. Millner Field. The third placed team in each pool will then go into a separate Pools Plate Competition which will see the Semi Finals played in Sydney on the Victoria Barracks Oval at Paddington and the Finals played in Canberra at Viking Park.

The top four teams after the Quarter Finals will travel to Auckland with the Semi Finals and Finals to be played between the Rugby World Cup (RWC) Semi Finals and Finals. The IDRC Semi Finals will be played at the North Shore Rugby Club and the Finals at Auckland University.

The inclusion of China (People’s Liberation Army) in the competition is a significant event and one that will assist the ADF to advance military relations with the PLA.

The inclusion of the two police teams occurred because of uneven teams in the competition at various times. In May 2011 there were only 11 confirmed teams in the competition (10 or 12 teams were required) so the decision was made to invite Samoa to enter a “Government” team (Samoa don’t have a defence force). A month later the USA withdrew from the competition and we were back to 11 teams again. The AFP were then approached by the IDRC Committee and they agreed to enter the competition as the 12th team.

Referees for the competition will be provided by the Australian Services Rugby Referees Association (ASSRA) augmented by defence referees from overseas (each team was given the opportunity to include a qualified defence referee in their party). At this stage Australia, New Zealand, France, UK, South Africa, PNG and Tonga will all be providing referees for the competition.

Last edited:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
It's all good.

Good Cause so I have no issues, in fact I'll make it a front page article for you!

Iron_Lung

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That's awesome Rob, I really appreciate it!

Please note that for anyone attending the finals of the world cup, both the Semi Finals and Grand Finals are being held in Auckland! A great day of rugby at no cost... I'm guessing there are going to be a few rugby fans hanging around Auckland with not much to do on those days :)