'Introduction Forum'

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hey, just a suggestion that could get shot down quickly, but maybe you could add an 'introduction forum' on here so new members can announce their presence and give a little about themselves. Would possibly make things easier for new people on here and allow existing members to make them feel more confortable. Just a thought :)

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
KieranW - anyone who sports a Tigers avatar must be one of the good guys.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I always find most use the General Forum. but very few introduce themselves, they normally just get stuck into the debates. :)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hey, just a suggestion that could get shot down quickly, but maybe you could add an 'introduction forum' on here so new members can announce their presence and give a little about themselves. Would possibly make things easier for new people on here and allow existing members to make them feel more confortable. Just a thought :)

what a good idea.

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In another forum I frequent, most registered members ID themselves and relevant affiliations in their signature. Maybe those who are interested can do so?

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Happy to make an introductions forum if people believe it's worth it. Perhaps just a thread in the general forum & add the info to the new members read here announcement.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Why not just add a comment box yto the About ME sectiomn of the User Profile where people can add additional info of the wish?

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Its very much worth visualizing in advance how you will behave when you make a screw up. Definitely avoid the combination of "rabbit in headlights" and "slack jawed yokel", you might infer a personal slant to that comment.

Now if I make a mistake I plan to point to the scrum/lineout place and say quite sternly . "come on, play the call" and move quickly on.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Funnily enough, the motorbike forum I subscribe to does have exactly what you've suggested. From memory, its entitled "I'm new here. Be gentle with me". :biggrin:

If you wanted to take it a bit further, one of the Moderators (Mods) on that forum has volunteered to effectively meet and greet the newbies to make them feel at ease. In fairness, she's pretty good at it too. :clap:

Some members have done round the world trips, so sometimes they forget that someone whose just passed their bike test just wants to know what oil to put in it.

.... very few introduce themselves, they normally just get stuck into the debates. :)
Agreed, this is what happens on my motorbike forum .... but they get a gentle request to post in the introduction forum as well. Some do - some don't.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I was going to say "good idea", but Dickie said it; so it can't be :wink: