IRB dispenses with Yes 9

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Not every private school teacher is top of their pay scale. And most teachers work damn hard.
I lived in the same house as a teacher for 2 yrs. God, I envied her. Anyway, I think the thread has been well and truly deflected.

WRU now fully int othe tap on the shoulder or nod from the far side. Effective 18th Jan throughout the game. email dated 15/1/14
For some reason I didn't get an e-mail. I've had other ones from them, but not this one. :chin:

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I lived in the same house as a teacher for 2 yrs. God, I envied her. Anyway, I think the thread has been well and truly deflected.

For some reason I didn't get an e-mail. I've had other ones from them, but not this one. :chin:

I lived in the same house as a teacher for 12 years. I'd never swap!

I can forward you a copy if you would like.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Who said they don't? Best read what people post properly.

i read it fine (and fully understand the context in which it was made). my point was that people always make out teachers work hard, as if it's not par for the course in other industries.

but this is well and truly off topic, so i'll leave it here.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I know.

Let's talk about Rugby for a bit.

I notice in the Leinster v Ospreys game Romain Poite is tapping the SH on the buttock. Round the other side it's a big thumb up!

Let's hope he doesn't get his signals mixed up. Le blimey!

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Nothing like a good bottom slap to make you feel loved.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
Apparently because at the top levels, scrums were starting their push when they heard "yes 9".

No, I don't know why they could not simply tell the referees to penalise teams that pushed early.

No, I don't know why the matter was so urgent that it had to be actioned IMMEDIATELY (if not before).

Agree with your setiments entirely OB!

Some will recall that when this 'yes 9' instruction was introduced there was much debate about it being a temptation for the early push etc. There were even suggestions that the call should be so quiet that only the '9' can hear it - yes really!!!

A number of experienced props at grass roots level told me they thought it was a stupid instruction to give when props are poised to push. The suggestion they all gave me was to drop the instruction and let the 9 just put it in. Ref can always say to 'hold it' if not S&S.

But as we have seen, the top refs are incapable of penalising effectively for an early push (effective meaning it deters!) as they are of penalising for a crooked feed - and so the rules have changed - again! The crooked feed and no hooking at top level will no doubt continue - too many vested interests in front row gym monkies. Thank goodness at grass roots we are seeing refs insist on straight put in and long may they do so. Keep it up lads, maybe the top level will catch on? Or not...

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Had my first experience of the silent signal to the SH yesterday. Schools U15 match, only problem was when I said 'Yes nine' instead of touching his shoulder. He put the ball in, we played on, at next scrum cheeky brat mentioned my mistake. I replyed 'Just testing' both SH's grinned and game went on.
I found that if I was on the putting in side I could touch the SH's shoulder and retreat 3 or 4 steps to widen my view before he put the ball in enabling me to get my prefered wide angle of the scrum.
But all in all a pointless change.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Had my first experience of the silent signal to the SH yesterday. Schools U15 match, only problem was when I said 'Yes nine' instead of touching his shoulder. He put the ball in, we played on, at next scrum cheeky brat mentioned my mistake. I replyed 'Just testing' both SH's grinned and game went on.
I found that if I was on the putting in side I could touch the SH's shoulder and retreat 3 or 4 steps to widen my view before he put the ball in enabling me to get my prefered wide angle of the scrum.
But all in all a pointless change.

I was wondering which one of you would spot that...

View attachment 2775

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Did I hear Y9 reappear in the Scarlets v Connaught match c. 61mins

B52 REF

Referees in England
Post Likes
nothing in new protocol prevents you speaking to the no. 9 whether it's " put it in you muppet we haven't got all day " or "yes please"