IRB gets tough - again

Pablo

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I look forward to the elite referees in the Autumn Internationals putting this into immediate practice and leading from the front... :chin: :=

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
saw an incident on the weekend that got me thinking.

Blue ball carrier is grabbed and stopped by Red opponent - both remain on feet (ie no tackle and no maul).

Another Blue player enters & becomes part of this group (ie forms a maul) through the RED gate. OK?

chopper15

Learned Terrace Ref
Post Likes

As I've mentioned before, eg. Saturday's high tackle on Sackey, it appears if there's no apparent distress shown by the tackled, ref's tend to ignore it.

Should the tackle be high, is a warning instead of a card acceptable , or must it be obviously dangerous before it's carded?

There's no leeway allowed in the wording of the law, so it must be to the ref's discretion?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
saw an incident on the weekend that got me thinking.

Blue ball carrier is grabbed and stopped by Red opponent - both remain on feet (ie no tackle and no maul).

Another Blue player enters & becomes part of this group (ie forms a maul) through the RED gate. OK?

Of course.
No tackle = no gate.

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
There's no leeway allowed in the wording of the law, so it must be to the ref's discretion?

I think that can come into it. I tend to lean towards being very tough on high tackles because I feel it avoid the "knucklehead factor' coming into play, thereby avoiding street justice taking place.

Greg Collins

Referees in England
Post Likes
As I've mentioned before, eg. Saturday's high tackle on Sackey, it appears if there's no apparent distress shown by the tackled, ref's tend to ignore it.

Should the tackle be high, is a warning instead of a card acceptable , or must it be obviously dangerous before it's carded?

a tackle can be high
a tackle can be dangerous, but not high
a tackle can be high and dangerous

we will exercise judgement on each tackle, and the standard at Paul Sackey's level of what is dangerous is likely to be a fair bit higher than at my local U15's I reckon.