Ireland v Australia

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Anyone see the incident for which Dean Mumm was YC?

IMO, he is damned lucky he wasn't RC. The low speed dynamic that the referees were taking about is irrelevant, since tip tackles almost always happen when the victim is stopped anyway and then up-ended.

Mumm lifted the player at the breakdown, tipped him over and drove him into the ground, and his head contacted the ground first, bending his neck. Lift + Tip + Drive = Red card.

I expect he will be cited.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Interesting dynamic. Irish player had a grasp of the ball which was also held by player on ground. It was ineveitable that he would go arse up.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
1st impression was that he wasn't "driven". Another player had a head hold/contact that may have impacted on the outcome. Wouldn't go red....but that is based on live viewing.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaP0UltFlCg

just a few seconds in.

With what is there on a couple of viewing Im not sure that he was lifted and turned through the horizontal - cos his head and shoulders were already lower than his hips (hmmm...). But frankly its the same thing in terms of outcome.

didds

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
By the way....who actually Refd the game.........St. Nige?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
By the way....who actually Refd the game.........St. Nige?

Well Nigel certainly took charge of this incident. He was adamant that it was a YC and repeated his recommendation several times to Garces.

Can someone refresh my memory of the Ross Ford incident from the 2015 RWC and what sanction it ended up with please? Was it similar to this one?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
why does Ireland have such a proud & strong 15s side but nothing in mens' WR 7s?

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
In my view it was a RC. Legs lifted above the horizontal and player lands on his head/neck. I know it is a somewhat unusual circumstance that his head was lower than his hips and he was battling for a ball held by an opponent, a dynamic which led to the consequences we saw, but if you choose to engage in that scenario and choose to try and get him off his feet to stop the contest for the ball, then you accept the consequences of those actions. Land on head/neck = RC

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
10.4.(j) seems relevant enough for me, although I understand we have some 'clearing out at a ruck' rather than an open play tackle.

For me the lifting up then bringing the opponent to the ground head first are enough for red.

davidlandy

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
1st impression was that he wasn't "driven". Another player had a head hold/contact that may have impacted on the outcome. Wouldn't go red....but that is based on live viewing.

I thought that on the replay you can see the "driving" into the ground. And I agree with others here that it should have been RC under 10.4j. Looks like JG was inventing some discretion that the rule book doesn't strictly give him!

My other thought was that the other player with the simultaneous head-roll should have got a YC too - he got away with it because the focus was on the tip-tackle.

Cross

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This is one of those cases where i ask myself if i understand the rules. Apparently i do not.

Gold lifted green, horizontal, landed with his head. What the phuck are we talking about?

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Dean Mumm has been cited over the tackle. He received a suspension about 5 weeks ago so I'd say priors will become a consideration. Pretty sure he won't be lacing up the boots for England next weekend

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Apparently i do not.

Now don't go all passive-aggressive on us.

Gold lifted green, horizontal, landed with his head. What the phuck are we talking about?

Like most things in life, there are always mitigating factors that should be considered.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Dean Mumm has been cited over the tackle. He received a suspension about 5 weeks ago so I'd say priors will become a consideration. Pretty sure he won't be lacing up the boots for England next weekend

He probably isn't in Cheika's mix anyway for next weekend. Only brought in for the Irish game to bolster the lineout.

Sean McMahon to start ???

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
McMahon, Pocock and Hooper may be a good combo in the last 20 but I would expect he will recall Fardy or Timani.

Probably Timani to start at 8

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Mumm exonerated at hearing

Mumm was cited for an alleged "lifting tackle" on Tadhg Furlong that earned him a yellow card at the time but a three-man commission decided no further punishment was warranted.

"The Disciplinary Committee then concluded that, although Mr Mumm had committed an act of foul play, the particular circumstances of the incident meant that Mr Mumm's actions would not have warranted a red card," WR said in a statement.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Mumm was cited for an alleged "lifting tackle" on Tadhg Furlong that earned him a yellow card at the time but a three-man commission decided no further punishment was warranted.

"The Disciplinary Committee then concluded that, although Mr Mumm had committed an act of foul play, the particular circumstances of the incident meant that Mr Mumm's actions would not have warranted a red card," WR said in a statement.

If Furlong had been stretchered off with a neck-brace fitted, would Mumm have been exonerated?

Dixpat

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Seems to me that Mumm's foul play was more "foul" [in the sense of potential injury causing] than Fekitoa's yet the sanctions do not reflect that

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

He hasn't been exonerated has he. They just said a YC was the correct action.