Ireland v England

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Head says Ireland by 3, so with that in mind - England by 3 ! :eng:

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Poor communication between referee Craig Joubert & both ARs Jerome Garces (FRA) + AN Other.

England blatantly and repeatly way offside. Your wingers may be quick, but they are certainly NOT that quick. Hope this team of three don't influence the result of the game. First word from the ref to the English players, just now, after 35 minutes of play.

Joubert's positioning between 9 & 10 is also pretty poor.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Some naieve pitch management from England, long thrown line out missed , driving maul toward touchline - giving an easy rush defence target on ford/burrell. Final pass to Nowell at halftime - avoid the damn touchline if you want to retain possession.....wtf!

Ireland outplaying us, under rewarded on their scoreboard.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
White 11 makes a jinking run, minutes into the second half, but does manage to place the ball on the field of play before being bundled into touch by Green15.

Frenchman Mathieu Raynal, the second AR, incorrectly awards the line-out to Ireland.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
When a mark is made in goal, the kick should be 5m out from goal line....

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Oh the irony of it. England captain questions the referee about an Ireland player being offside.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Ireland dominated the 'kick chase' contest, partly because England's chase was non existent !
The key difference between the sides IMO.
Conor Murray mom for me .

Blue Smartie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Vunipola on Sexton. BV carries and smashes into JS; JS seems stunned in the challenge. Dangerous raised forearm from BV, or big bosh? (60mins ish)

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Vunipola on Sexton. BV carries and smashes into JS; JS seems stunned in the challenge. Dangerous raised forearm from BV, or big bosh? (60mins ish)
Fairly standard at this level rarely penalised, mind you the face challenge of Healy ....wow he's a tough mother....

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I thought the FK for England's early push at their attacking 5m scrum was really really harsh, it only moved about 30cm !!!

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Hi Blue Smartie,
It was a little like Bastereau's challenge on Sexton two week's ago. Certainly targeting the 10 channel, but I think it was accidental.

Browner an intentional leading fore-arm would be red-carded.

Gracie

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Oh the irony of it. England captain questions the referee about an Ireland player being offside.

Interesting view, for me it was Ireland who were offside continuously and blockage ahead of the ball and Lord knows what Joubert was thinking when the English scrum half was not given penalty when the Irish guy was clearly offside late in the game.

Overall, I'm nota fan of the way Ireland play players ahead and off the ball. That said, England's kicking was poor

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Ireland were accurate (kicks, breakdown), England were not; England gave away penalties, Ireland did not.

Given that basis, the result is hardly a surprise. Ireland deserved the win because they used their resources very efficiently, and as a bonus scrummaged England to equality.

England depressed me; Ireland does not excite. But I'd take an unexciting England win if I could!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
an intentional leading fore-arm would be red-carded.

So, a player who is running with the ball clutched to his body under his hand and forearm is RC if a player tackles him and cops that forearm to the face? Really?

Last edited:

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
It seemed to us that Joubert was ignoring far more of England's offences around the breakdown than Ireland's. And how he didn't YC the England player not rolling away with ball on his goal line in the first 5 minutes, was just a cop out. If it had been the last 5 minutes, would he have wavered? I think not.

liversedge

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
It seemed to us that Joubert was ignoring far more of England's offences around the breakdown than Ireland's. And how he didn't YC the England player not rolling away with ball on his goal line in the first 5 minutes, was just a cop out. If it had been the last 5 minutes, would he have wavered? I think not.

Ireland repeatedly stopped English players from joining the ruck by cleaning them out / taking them out before they had bound / off the ball, killing many contests. This seemed to go totally unnoticed.

Having said that, England's intensity seemed a bit off and the kick chase was terrible, something they lost when May was dropped .. don't get me started on the way they handled the up and under.

Ireland worthy winners and don't think the referee had a hand in the outcome, but CJ didn't look entirely on song to me.

Mark