Ireland vs South Africa

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
as pleased as i am that Ireland have changed their kit due to a clash, i can't help but think that it would have worked better had South Africa changed to their white kit. even Ireland's green kit would have been less of a clash.

would anyone on here have been happy if these colours had been in one of their games?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hello,
I agree that the green Irish jersey would have been less of a clash than tonight's new alternative jersey. However, tradition dictates that the home team wear their alternative jersey if there's a clash.

On the 13 of August 2011, Ireland wore a New (White) alternative jersey against France. How Puma have gotten away with this one-a-year jersey deal beats me. Especially given the IRFU's frequent mentions of how much they appreciate supporters in Ireland are going thru' a difficult time financially. It's the thin end of the wedge.

Reminded me of England rugby's Anthracite jersey. Do we need yet another team of "Almost Blacks"?

Ireland never really looked like scoring a try this evening ; although Simon Zebo did have a great game.
Massive come back from South Africa after the break.

Last edited:

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
agreed about the tradition (whether it happens at the elite level is another matter), but if the change is more of a clash than not changing would have been then the tradition can go to buggery.

seriously, is it that difficult to come up with a change strip that is totally different from the main kit?

L'irlandais

Post Likes
...seriously, is it that difficult to come up with a change strip that is totally different from the main kit?
I agree.
And actually thought last year's White (& green) change strip was fine. Why change it so soon? (£££ Obviously!!!) :frown:

JohnP

Post Likes
Any thoughts re sextons complaint shown by boby language that he thought he was hit on floor in ruck by no arms charge?

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Sorry JohnP,
Didn't see the incident, at what point in the game did it occur?

It was a very physical game. However a couple of the big hits folks may like to have another look at : Rugby Dump

Was Richardt Strauss being targeted by SA? (Can't see much from that short clip.)

Last edited:

Bury_Dave

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm surprised the Kiwis didn't do their usual whinging about black being their colour and theirs alone ........

I agree though that SA should have worn their white jerseys.

Being an old fart I still long for less sexed up jerseys.... Although the current England one looks not too bad.

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Was Richardt Strauss being targeted by SA? (Can't see much from that short clip.)

Well, he was blood binned after just 5 minutes or so I think...

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Well, he was blood binned after just 5 minutes or so I think...
You are right. At the start of the game, he got a split lip in a regroupment & was blood injury for a good 5 minutes. This set the tone for the rest of the day, up to and including his early exit just 2 minutes into the second half.
(The Afrikaners don't mind if you play for a European club, as long as you answer your countries call. However play for a European Nation and you may regret it.)

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Any thoughts re sextons complaint shown by boby language that he thought he was hit on floor in ruck by no arms charge?
Yes Jannie Du Plessis dived straight on him with the shoulder. Sex10 was on the ground and this action from the SA #3 was definitely not an action of rucking a man away from the ball. It should be brought to the citing commissioner for further review.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
... It should be brought to the citing commissioner for further review.
Was this when JP Pietersen bundled him out of the way? (around 17 minutes of play)

I saw that he did a bit of sign language once the medics were finished with him. Unfortunately the broadcaster wasn't doing much in the way of replays.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Was this when JP Pietersen bundled him out of the way? (around 17 minutes of play)

I saw that he did a bit of sign language once the medics were finished with him. Unfortunately the broadcaster wasn't doing much in the way of replays.
Yes. From my angle in the ground I thought Pietersen had fended with the elbow after Sexton had motioned towards WB. It wasn't till I got to see the recording that it is clearly Du Plessis that committed the crime.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Being an old fart I still long for less sexed up jerseys.... Although the current England one looks not too bad.
I thought the Scotland shirt was the best I've seen. It exuded Scottishness in a way that the more traditional shirt does not.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I thought the Scotland shirt was the best I've seen. It exuded Scottishness in a way that the more traditional shirt does not.

It looks minging. Really garish if you ask me. Much like the puma Irish ones, with funny bits all over the shop that seem to have no purporse other than providing satisfaction to marketing gurus.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Yes Jannie Du Plessis dived straight on him with the shoulder. Sex10 was on the ground and this action from the SA #3 was definitely not an action of rucking a man away from the ball. It should be brought to the citing commissioner for further review.

I saw this too, blatant attempt to injure sexton on the floor, there was another incident where somebody put the knee into him on the floor leading to a few handbags. Don't know how the first incident was missed by citing boys

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Second incident was with Willem Alberts. After the whistle he went into Sexton. It was on the 29th min. I have to say there wasn't much in that one.
However, they were looking for something(a fight), next play Henry got JP Pietersen taking him without the ball.