Ireland's Try 62minutes

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Just watching the replay and surprised there has been no discussion on here about Ireland's try at the 62 minute mark. Irish ball carrier is tackled short and clearly uses his knees to propel himself close enough to THEN reach out and score the try.

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Certainly doesn't look like momentum took him over. This scrabbling along the ground happens more and more elsewhere on the FOP. Player carriers looking to gain 2 or 3 meters when brought to ground, rolling or shuffling forward before presenting the ball.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I thought there was more than a hint of one knee shoving him asking.

Good call TF.

Didds

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Were they ever held?

Do you need to be? I thought you had to be brought to ground, assuming you are in contact with the BC when he is brought to ground, we now have a tackle and both players have actions, tackler to release and roll away, BC to release/play the ball. It is getting more and more common (and less and less penalised) for players to either continue on (on the assumption they were 'not held) or scramble a few more metres/barrell roll to gain ground and prevent a fair contest for the ball. One of my local clubs (and I'm sure many others) specifically coach the barrell roll after a tackle, I find myself penalising it more and more.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I spotted it at the time, but decide to wait until I could review it before sticking my neck out. I have just had another look and agree entirely that after being tackled he used his knee to push himself forward before reaching out to ground the ball.

It is possible he did not need to do so - he might have been able to reach anyway, but he didn't. Fortunately it did not prevent the win, but it did give Ireland a losing bonus point.

(Not sure the referee could see that knee, and there was no AR input.)

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Didn't we have a similar discussion some months back when something similar happened in an Aviva Premiership match?

Think at the time, IIRC, the TMO deemed the tackled player was still in motioned and was entitled to crawl and then place!!

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Law 22.4.(d)
[FONT=fs_blakeregular](d)[/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]Momentum try. If an attacking player with the ball is tackled short of the goal line but the player’s momentum carries the player in a continuous movement along the ground into the opponents’ in-goal, and the player is first to ground the ball, a try is scored.[/FONT]

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Law 22.4.(d)
[FONT=fs_blakeregular](d)[/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]Momentum try. If an attacking player with the ball is tackled short of the goal line but the player’s momentum carries the player in a continuous movement along the ground into the opponents’ in-goal, and the player is first to ground the ball, a try is scored.[/FONT]
... except that he had been stopped. The movement of his knee is a dead giveaway that he knew it. Use of momentum means you make no further effort after the tackle.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
We (my son and I) spotted it at the time, but I didn't remember to raise it as the result kind of meant more.

timmad

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
We (my son and I) spotted it at the time, but I didn't remember to raise it as the result kind of meant more.
I'm sorry Pinky but as referees we believe that enforcing the Laws of the game is more important than the result (ahem).

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hi timmad,
You are correct in so far as
It is the duty of the referee to apply fairly all the Laws of the Game in every match...
however, if we accept that everyone makes mistakes, even International referees, then Pinky has a fair point. If your going to make a mistake better one that isn't a match-result-changing clanger. Awarding a undeserved try, might on any other occasion have denied Scotland a well deserved win. In the context of Six Nations this particular try springs to mind:
The Beeb said:
12 March 2011: Wales 19-13 Ireland - This game was decided in Wales' favour by a hugely controversial Mike Phillips try early in the second half.

Last edited: