[Law] Is a slow retiring player put back onside by a pass ? Bristol v Gloucester tonight

CrouchTPEngage

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Tonight , a decision sparked some debate in my house.
Gloucester are attacking inside the Bristol 22, a pass is intercepted and the Bristol player sprints about 80 metres and looks like he is going to score. Some great defensive work by a Gloucester chaser who tackles him about 4 metres from the Gloucester goal-line.
There is a ruck at that tackle and there are a lot of Gloucester players running back to try to get into the defence-line.
The Gloucester 7 is running backwards but never gets back to the offside line. However, the Bristol 9 passes the ball from the ruck to a team-mate and the Gloucester 7 ( who was offside) almost immediately tackles him, on his way back to the (now ended) ruck's offside line. Referee awards a PK against Gloucester's 7 and yellow-cards him. Easy to spot and cynical.

Then someone asks me "But wasnt he put onside by the action of the Bristol 9 passing from the back of the ruck?"

Law 10.6 says :
[LAWS]an offside player can be put onside when:
c. An opponent of that player:
i. Carries the ball five metres; or
ii. Passes the ball; or
iii. Kicks the ball; or
iv. Intentionally touches the ball without gaining possession of it.[/LAWS]

Thoughts ?
My explanation is that you cannot loiter offised in order to get an advantage when the bal is passed out. But this defender was not "loitering", he was sprinting back to try to get to his defensive line.

But . to answer my own question:
[LAWS]8. A player who is offside at a ruck, maul, scrum or lineout remains offside, even after the
ruck, maul, scrum or lineout has ended.
9. The player can be put onside only if:
a. That player immediately retires behind the applicable offside line; or
b. An opposition player carries the ball five metres in any direction; or
c. An opposition player kicks the ball.
10. An offside player may be penalised if that player:
a. Fails to retire without undue delay and benefits from being put onside in a more
advantageous position; or
b. Interferes with play; or
c. Moves towards the ball.[/LAWS]

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
10.8 and 10.10
But the Law isn't quite cut and dried

Note that the word 'loiter' no longer appears in the Law Book

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I thought a "Lazy Runner" could not be put onside by a pass but only by the opposition

• Kicking the ball or
  • Running 5m with the ball.
I know it seems a bit harsh to call him a "lazy runner" when he was doing all he could to get back, but personally I would have given a PK as he didn't make it back onside and wasn't put onside by the opposition.

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I thought a "Lazy Runner" could not be put onside by a pass but only by the opposition

• Kicking the ball or
  • Running 5m with the ball.
I know it seems a bit harsh to call him a "lazy runner" when he was doing all he could to get back, but personally I would have given a PK as he didn't make it back onside and wasn't put onside by the opposition.

Your correct taff.
If a Ruck Has occurred .it doesnt matter how many time the opposition player passes the ball , he is still off side .
However if it was TACKLE only ,,he could of made the tackle ...

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I assume he still can’t if it’s a tackle with offside lines.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Your correct taff.
If a Ruck Has occurred .it doesnt matter how many time the opposition player passes the ball , he is still off side .
However if it was TACKLE only ,,he could of made the tackle ...

Agreed fllowing a "tackle only" he's now onsid, following a pass, and indeed could have made a tackle.