Is it true no mitigation on no arms or just a commentator phrase?

Dave Elliott

Administrator
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Keep hearing it in RWC, that if no wrap then mitigation can’t be applied but can’t find that in any head contact stuff I have???

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
That was dated 1 Mar 23 in a pdf I had.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
And is the phrase "always illegal" defined anywhere? Eg an offside player tackles a ball carrier ... that is "always illegal" so no mitigation?

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
And is the phrase "always illegal" defined anywhere? Eg an offside player tackles a ball carrier ... that is "always illegal" so no mitigation?
The wording is:
“Mitigation will not apply for intentional or always-illegal acts of foul play.”

The previous edition read:

“Mitigation will not apply for intentional or highly reckless acts of foul play.”

So take whatever you will from that.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The foul play is always illegal. Not an "unrelated" offence. Ie the "tackle was always foul play" not The tackle would have been legal but for....."

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The wording is:
“Mitigation will not apply for intentional or always-illegal acts of foul play.”

The previous edition read:

“Mitigation will not apply for intentional or highly reckless acts of foul play.”

So take whatever you will from that.
Highly reckless acts can now be mitigated?

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
My understanding is that a no-arm tackle is considered to be a conscious decision by the tackler, and is therefore intentional foul play. If you have committed foul play intentionally, there is no get out of jail free card.