Is the rugby spirit still there?

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In my limited experience, it is for the most part. I try to at least make an appearance at the social, but cannot partake, or stay very long (avg 180 miles of 4-lane highway each way). Good clubs definitely appreciate it when the referee sticks around.

Ronald

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I think it really depends on where you ref...in a big city like Johannesburg, many clubs are struggling to attract and retain players, and most players and referees tend to run away after the game. You do have a few notable exceptions, though, and I will always stay and chat to the teams/spectators after a game if possible. Unfortunately most of us refs (talking about my local society here) run away straight after the game, and I feel it entrenches the "us and them" feelings out there.

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
It very much depends on the club in my opinion.

Bury St Edmunds 4s v Hadleigh 2s - had such a great spirit about it - I contacted both club's chairmen's to praise they way they sides played, the level of sportsmanship and also the fact that despite it being the inaugural league (non merit) match for both of them, they were happy to play 13 a side as Hadleigh could only muster 11.

In fact it even got to the local RFU council reps blog: http://asarek.wordpress.com/2014/09/14/the-first-week-of-the-new-eastern-counties-leagues/

Yet the weekend after. I pulled out my game at Braintree as there was flooding at Witham and the trains weren't running well - I didn't wanna risk me getting stranded at Witham for an hour. So instead I go to Colchester RFC to run the line for DaftMedic. I ended up doing the 4s against Haverhill. And literally they spent the first 20 minutes fighting amongst themselves. Still not sure how I didn't go for a card. Ended up giving one at the end of the 1st half for a trip at the breakdown when the attacking side where about to score.

Both sides gave me rave reviews and I thought I was terrible - I pretty much knocked back my pint of IPA in the changing room. After the game both sides were great! Colchester even gave me a lift after DaftMedic forgot me :p

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Still not sure how I didn't go for a card. Ended up giving one at the end of the 1st half for a trip at the breakdown when the attacking side where about to score.

Penalty Try?

After the game both sides were great! Colchester even gave me a lift after DaftMedic forgot me :p

MOD: infraction point given to DaftMedic for leaving a man behind! :nono: Wouldn't happen in the Marines.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
The clubs Phil E visits gave up years ago trying to engage him in conversaion as he was always too busy photographing his dinner and/or his changing facilities.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
The clubs Phil E visits gave up years ago trying to engage him in conversaion as he was always too busy photographing his dinner and/or his changing facilities.

Funny you should mention that.
Been trying to think of something new I could do on my blog this season?

Any ideas (sensible ones LLP!)?

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
quality of the pitch, (start at Welford Rd)?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
At most of the clubs I visit there is always someone to chat to. Sometimes the club bore but most of the time a sprinkling of Coaches and Players. It is always difficult to stop too long as invariably I or they have to go. Occasionally a team will invite me to sit with them but most of the time you are usually stood with blazers/coaches/players as they hang around the bar.

I find having an assesor stimies the conversation with hosts etc as you tend to get whisked away for 1/2 hour to a corner table and unless you get up and leave the assessor no one ventures forth as they perhaps think they may be disturbing you.

As the level of match gets better the players tend to get younger and I think that sometimes kills the conversation as they perhaps feel it's a bit like talking to their dad? I tend to have the best discussions with coaches, assuming they don't wat to labour a point of law or a decision I did or didn't make.

I like Y2 as very few clubs are wholly results driven but the standard is such that the thing has a sense of "professionalism"

I have only travelled on the train once but I always think Ciaran's mode of transport round Cumbria is very civilised and allows for a bit of a drink.

Next week I am as close to home as I can get in Y2 (9 miles) I may try and get my wife to drop me off/pick me up.:pepper:

woody

Referees in America
Post Likes
Funny you should mention that.
Been trying to think of something new I could do on my blog this season?

Any ideas (sensible ones LLP!)?

Best perk.
After a fine game, the losing home team players didn't care to socialize but their cook was did a heck of a job smoking the wings and grilling the brats. He put the icing on the cake with this. Especially nice as with my company car, I'm not allowed one drink.
1411853748677.jpg

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
as a place where you used to have a winning team! :wink:

We're just getting warmed up mate. By the time Barf come to Fortress Welford normal service will have been resumed.

On the subject of nice little drinks, I got a very nice bottle of Port after doing the Army 7's down in Welsh Wales.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
don't forget to pass it :wink: my fav!

WombleRef

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Penalty Try?

MOD: infraction point given to DaftMedic for leaving a man behind! :nono: Wouldn't happen in the Marines.

In hindsight I should have given it. I was pleased I managed to spot it though.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
At most of the clubs I visit there is always someone to chat to. Sometimes the club bore but most of the time a sprinkling of Coaches and Players. It is always difficult to stop too long as invariably I or they have to go. Occasionally a team will invite me to sit with them but most of the time you are usually stood with blazers/coaches/players as they hang around the bar.

I find having an assesor stimies the conversation with hosts etc as you tend to get whisked away for 1/2 hour to a corner table and unless you get up and leave the assessor no one ventures forth as they perhaps think they may be disturbing you.

As the level of match gets better the players tend to get younger and I think that sometimes kills the conversation as they perhaps feel it's a bit like talking to their dad? I tend to have the best discussions with coaches, assuming they don't wat to labour a point of law or a decision I did or didn't make.

I like Y2 as very few clubs are wholly results driven but the standard is such that the thing has a sense of "professionalism"

I have only travelled on the train once but I always think Ciaran's mode of transport round Cumbria is very civilised and allows for a bit of a drink.

Next week I am as close to home as I can get in Y2 (9 miles) I may try and get my wife to drop me off/pick me up.:pepper:

How bad do your games go that you need a 30 minute debrief?!

oldman

Referees in England
Post Likes
Phil,
It shows your not from Leicester it's pronounced "Baff" double f no r.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Phil,
It shows your not from Leicester it's pronounced "Baff" double f no r.

It's pronounced Barf, because that's what it makes me want to do!

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
*hand creeps up*
its BaTH not BaRth or BaFF.

*disgruntled northerner stomps off muttering under his breath*

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
*hand creeps up*
its BaTH not BaRth or BaFF.

*disgruntled northerner stomps off muttering under his breath*

Northerners giving pronunciation lessons!!!!! You have got to be kidding me :nono:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
20 minutes of that is laughing. Then 10 minutes of belittling, ridiculing and crying.