Is the rugby spirit still there?

Owen Bisto Taylor

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Sorry I havent been around much, but freshers week is done now... so i guess its time to get back in the real world.

I did a L9 game today where the first teams had called up several players from each team that morning, leaving both teams with depleted squads... regardless, we decided that we should play 13 a side and see what happens... and I can say its one of the most enjoyable games ive done, with a scoreline of 31-50!

It just worries me that each club i go to, there are less and less people drinking, chatting etc. afterwards! But i'm quite happy after today that the spirit is still strong!

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
The spirit is there but it is struggling due to numbers falling in many areas. I love going to clubs and refereeing, get a bit of banter from the sidelines and, in the right way, on the pitch. Last week I went back to a club I'd not been to for a few years, since going through a life threatening illness and subsequent operations etc, one of their stalwarts welcomed me back with a tear in his eyes. We may get called all the names under the sun during a game but the rugby family is the best (apart from the one at home).

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
I know that feeling Pegleg, many clubs start crying when I turn up too.

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes, for my part I feel welcomed at quite a few grounds now and people recognise me (hopefully for the right reasons) and are keen to get me a cup of tea before the game. Seems that there is a quite a bit of bother at clubs that the commitment isn't as good as it used to be (from the younger element in teams). Clearly the banter is an important part of it all and I have found that it continues. Long may it reign!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
When does banter become abuse? Ata recent game, both sets of spectators were unpleasantly one-eyed in their comments. One chap was continuing to challenge the referee on one particluar decision well after the game.

Unlike the referee, I am too close to the crowd to be able to ignore them satisfactorily.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I think you know it when you hear it. Yes you as an assessor are closer to the banter / abuse. I've never had anything said (in my hearing) from a crowd that I felt crossed the line. You may hear more or have a different level of sensitivity to me, of course.

As a rough guide:

Two sides playing ref!

Ref, when are your new glasses being delivered?

Ref, does your Guide dog need water?

Are harmless banter.

Insert foul language ( that you'd not accept from a player) and it becomes abuse.

Once the game is over. A comment is fine subject to the language caveat and body language / general manner issues. After a polite reply, I expect no more.

Taffy

Referees in England
Post Likes
Keeping it light, last week. Prop from blue asks me about "Them coming in the side Sir!". I say, "Through the captain please". Captain to me "Sorry sir, he's Welsh!". "Oy, so am I". I then speak to the prop, "Which part of Wales", "Cwmbran" he says, "Oh, I am a Cardiff boy".

Nice, harmless, genuine "moment".

Made My Day!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Sorry I havent been around much, but freshers week is done now... so i guess its time to get back in the real world.

I did a L9 game today where the first teams had called up several players from each team that morning, leaving both teams with depleted squads... regardless, we decided that we should play 13 a side and see what happens... and I can say its one of the most enjoyable games ive done, with a scoreline of 31-50!

It just worries me that each club i go to, there are less and less people drinking, chatting etc. afterwards! But i'm quite happy after today that the spirit is still strong!

I think you'll find 13 a side Rugby is often more preferable.:biggrin:

Sounds like a good day. Was it a "proper" L9 game (in a Y3 sense)?

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Yesterdays match,
nobody from the home team/coaching/DoR spoke to this referee! They must have taken umberage to the YC & PT in the last min of the match that still resulted in their win by c.30 pts !, .....but seriously, its sadly lacking nowadays in some places.

If i'm entirely honest, the absence of interaction by players compounds the lonely feeling of this volunteer role of mine, the clubs/players that get it right invariably 'make it all so much more worthwhile'.

Id like to see the RFU actively promote 'hospitality towards officials' as part of their 'respect' campaign

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
at my match on Saturday I felt very welcome at the club, several players and bystanders chatted with me and I was given a pint and hot dog, and several offers of a second pint, and expenses (both declined). I felt the rugby spirit was alive and well

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Never decline your expenses. It could lead to pressure on next week's guy who maybe needs that cash. Take the expenses even if you donate them back in some way or give it to a ruby charity.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
After refereeing today in Holland yes.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Never decline your expenses. It could lead to pressure on next week's guy who maybe needs that cash. Take the expenses even if you donate them back in some way or give it to a ruby charity.

i suppose you are right. But I had travelled about four miles, it seems a bit picky to claim such a small amount

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Id like to see the RFU actively promote 'hospitality towards officials' as part of their 'respect' campaign
My society has a Whistler trophy: the referees mark the clubs on various aspects, and the trophy is awarder at the society's annual dinner (which most clubs attend).

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Spirit is alive and well in cumbria as far as I see. A close 27-25 game on Saturday with some tight decisions that could have made the game go either way. Both teams, players, officials and spectators shook my hand and I never bought a beer before the train home. Happy days

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
i suppose you are right. But I had travelled about four miles, it seems a bit picky to claim such a small amount

We have a minimum of £10. But if you have a lesser figure. Claim it and then ask someone if you may donate it to the Mini & Junior (For example) section of their club or their club charity or indeed donate it to one of the many injured player charities etc. The club then expects to pay every week AND a needy cause benefits.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
My society has a Whistler trophy: the referees mark the clubs on various aspects, and the trophy is awarder at the society's annual dinner (which most clubs attend).

Most societies have similar I'd guess, mine does . It rewards the club that does the best , but which is a bit like preaching to the converted.....ie the poorest clubs who don't bother 'never get a mention' !

Fatboy_Ginge

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Having refereed abroad for the first time this weekend I can safely say that yes the "club spirit" is alive and well. I was lucky enough to referee in the Oktoberfest sevens with a collection of referees from what seemed like most of Europe (Austria, Germany, Belgium, Holland and the UK. Better not forget Ireland as well as Alain Rolland was also there observing and refereeing)

I learnt a lot from watching other refs who referee at a higher level than me and some less experienced refs said they learnt something from me.

Some teams were taking the competition FAR too seriously (eventual winners Poland 7s and Italian team Roosters spring to mind) and disappeared pretty quickly after it finished or were knocked out. The rest stayed for a while afterwards and enjoyed themselves. The team of referees were made welcome and seven of us went out with some of the Munich club in the evening.

It's this type of atmosphere that makes what we do worthwhile and what separates us from the wendyballers. Can't wait to do it again (when my liver has recovered)

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Having refereed abroad for the first time this weekend I can safely say that yes the "club spirit" is alive and well. I was lucky enough to referee in the Oktoberfest sevens with a collection of referees from what seemed like most of Europe (Austria, Germany, Belgium, Holland and the UK. Better not forget Ireland as well as Alain Rolland was also there observing and refereeing)

I learnt a lot from watching other refs who referee at a higher level than me and some less experienced refs said they learnt something from me.

Some teams were taking the competition FAR too seriously (eventual winners Poland 7s and Italian team Roosters spring to mind) and disappeared pretty quickly after it finished or were knocked out. The rest stayed for a while afterwards and enjoyed themselves. The team of referees were made welcome and seven of us went out with some of the Munich club in the evening.

It's this type of atmosphere that makes what we do worthwhile and what separates us from the wendyballers. Can't wait to do it again (when my liver has recovered)

The Oktoberfest isn't exactly ' typical' of my Saturday experience, sadly!!!!!