Is this a ruck?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Any insight on why Australia or any country would add that to their GMGs when it is not found in law?

Probably for the same reason the USA GMG contain items not found in law :unsure:

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Any insight on why Australia or any country would add that to their GMGs when it is not found in law?
Game Management Guidelines (GMG's) aren't the laws but a set of clarifications around issues or interpretation that may have appeared in the period since the laws were last revised. They don't override the law set but provide colour to the grey mush that the book can be. In that respect they are similar to the High Tackle framework - referee's are expected to follow this framework but the law book only says:
9.13 - A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously. Dangerous tackling includes, but is not limited to, tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent above the line of the shoulders even if the tackle starts below the line of the shoulders.

Where does this talk about changing height of ball carrier/tackler, shoulder contact, etc?

Akira Nonaka

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Is it really necessary to distinguish a ruck from a so-called post-tackle contest? I do not know about other countries but in Japan, most of the players and audiences do not know the difference and are still happily enjoying rugby. :)

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Is it really necessary to distinguish a ruck from a so-called post-tackle contest? I do not know about other countries but in Japan, most of the players and audiences do not know the difference and are still happily enjoying rugby. :)
I'd say yes. A tackle, like a ruck is a defined period of play with laws associated with each. Until a few years ago a tackle didn't form an offside line but a ruck did. Now the line is more blurred.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Game Management Guidelines (GMG's) aren't the laws but a set of clarifications around issues or interpretation that may have appeared in the period since the laws were last revised. They don't override the law set but provide colour to the grey mush that the book can be. In that respect they are similar to the High Tackle framework - referee's are expected to follow this framework but the law book only says:
9.13 - A player must not tackle an opponent early, late or dangerously. Dangerous tackling includes, but is not limited to, tackling or attempting to tackle an opponent above the line of the shoulders even if the tackle starts below the line of the shoulders.

Where does this talk about changing height of ball carrier/tackler, shoulder contact, etc?

The main difference is that your GMG's only provide clarification in your country, other countries may do it differently, which is not helpful.

World Rugby clarifications like the High Tackle framework are universal.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The main difference is that your GMG's only provide clarification in your country, other countries may do it differently, which is not helpful.

World Rugby clarifications like the High Tackle framework are universal.
If you choose not to live in Oz, on your head be it :)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
msf...

Attachments

• 1c88d8_d80fce2f17df4cf987d15bda6d11e9ee-mv2.jpg
    1c88d8_d80fce2f17df4cf987d15bda6d11e9ee-mv2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 8

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Which only apply in Australia :unsure:
Can you explain why the ref decided he was offside?

Would this try be disallowed in England? I can't see any offense committed under law 14... a tackle was made, he arrived through the gate and picked up the ball. Is the scrum-half material in this?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Can you explain why the ref decided he was offside?

Would this try be disallowed in England? I can't see any offense committed under law 14... a tackle was made, he arrived through the gate and picked up the ball. Is the scrum-half material in this?

Not without asking him.

I've watched it again and the scrum half puts his hands on the ball.
Then the second row who is in front of the SH picks up the ball.

If your in front of a team mate who last touched the ball your offside.

Akira Nonaka

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I found Australia and USA have GMG. I cannot find the one in Japan so far. Do any other countries have GMG?