its a funny thing, the brain

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
did a game yesterday, dark green v light green.

No clash but what should I call them? - can't call 'em both "green".

Dark green wore navy shorts and light green wore black shorts so "blue" and "black" it was.

But it just didn't work. Navy & black are too similar, navy quickly became black during the wet game and using shorts' colours really doesn't work for me anyway.

So, while I think I had a reasonable game, the lack of clear colours really mucked up my concentration and rythm through the whole game.

Hopefully Red v Blue next week.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
When this happens I think you have to call the teams by their names

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
When this happens I think you have to call the teams by their names

Maybe but 1 was 3 sylables and the other 2 which I also hate. I never use "orange", "maroon" or "purple" for example

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
'Dark' and 'Light'?

Thinking about it, how often do you have to make a 'quick' decision? Take time and communicate adequately -even if not grammatically perfect. :chin:

Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Maybe but 1 was 3 sylables and the other 2 which I also hate. I never use "orange", "maroon" or "purple" for example
And there was me thinking it was just me. :biggrin:

'Dark' and 'Light'?
Good idea. I'm going to try that.

... Thinking about it, how often do you have to make a 'quick' decision? Take time and communicate adequately -even if not grammatically perfect. :chin:
I'd suggest very often. I'm sure most find it easy, but I admit I do struggle sometimes; I know what I want to say, but stumble trying to get the words out fast enough.

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Me too, I find naming a problem too when the colours are either similar or long :)

I like the idea of light and dark, especially that if I award a penalty I can "Give it to the dark side" in a D'Arth Vader voice.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
I have had to resort to team names when similar colour teams have also both worn white shorts.
If you are familiar with the teams, team nick-names such as "Bulls" can be handy as well. Guaranteed to have at least one botched call during the game though.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Presumably you could have asked one side to change into their 2nd strip ?

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
"You" and "Them" is what I usually end up with, and there's always a note to the captains about "I am going to screw this up a few times, if your lads are going to say anything to me about it it had better be funny".

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
"You" and "Them" is what I usually end up with, and there's always a note to the captains about "I am going to screw this up a few times, if your lads are going to say anything to me about it it had better be funny".

"Hands off "you"!" might work, but "get onside "them"!" makes you sound too much like the touchlines.

In Dikie's situation I think light and dark would have been the best option. Not too easy to change one to be eg "lime" and the other to be "green" as that might still leave a bit of room for confusion amongst players who might normally be being called "green"

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

has the advantage of there being plenty of visual occurrences (apart from the 2 or 3 who turn up in their sister's anklet gym socks).

Still had the colour issue - dark green and blue v light green and black.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Yes the brain is a funny thing.

The right side of the brain controls speech - although it would say that wouldn't it?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I had that fixture last year and after watching the DVD back I was able to call them blue and black all day, however my ARs on the day kept using green.

Also just say a number, then it's all good.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I had one last year and had been trying to use colours during the season.
Upper Eden (mostly Black and white) v Blackburn (mostly Blue and red) so I used Black and Blue. Big mistake made in last minute of the game. hands off tackler advantage Black................burn.
Before I had time to correct my mistake Eden, as I will now always call them relaxed and quick thinking blue scrum halk races away with the ball and scores the match winning try!!
Fortunately both teams in the same league this season and I admitted my error after the game but got away with always play the whistle lads!!

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... Also just say a number, then it's all good.
That makes it even worse surely.

You can see a colour from any direction, but you can only see a number when you're directly behind the player.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
That makes it even worse surely.

You can see a colour from any direction, but you can only see a number when you're directly behind the player.

Then don't say anything, or just say "roll" etc. Players aren't stupid, they know who we are talking to.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Then don't say anything, or just say "roll" etc. Players aren't stupid, they know who we are talking to.
Not generally advisable. Players will always think/hope you are referring to someone else. Colour always, number if possible.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It was worse than that. It was even at the "knock on Blue (or are they Black?), scrum Black (or are they Blue?)"