Jackson in SA v Eng U20s

Chunky Charvis

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Having seen Glen Jackson a number of times in Super 15, I watched this with interest.

I was rather surprised to see him talking a lot more, flitting around nervously and giving a remarkable number of penalties! (anyone know the count? I would say close to 30)

I got the impression he was really quite nervous, and I felt sorry for the poor guy! And the players didn't help either. They were poorly disciplined I thought. But interesting to see how much his game differed from his usual Super 15 style.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I thought the same.
He was nervous and at times indecisive.

I thought he failed to address the punches and indiscipline.
Not once (as far as I saw) did he speak to the captains and tell them to deal with it.

Having said that I thought he got most of the penalties spot on....but his management let him down.

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
The games I've seen him do he always looks a bit nervous and unsure of his calls (even though they are spot on).

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
He always looks that way but being a former player he has a advantage

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
He always looks that way but being a former player he has a advantage

why is being a former elite player an advantage ? His management is poor (he is not a command & control personality type) and reflects his fast tracking without having had an opportunity to accumulate basic experience. There is a similar ex-quality player in UK (no names) who is struggling currently with some aspects of match management, but he is getting there slowly.

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
why is being a former elite player an advantage ? His management is poor (he is not a command & control personality type) and reflects his fast tracking without having had an opportunity to accumulate basic experience. There is a similar ex-quality player in UK (no names) who is struggling currently with some aspects of match management, but he is getting there slowly.
Well when the Stormers played against the Blues there was a incident where the Stormers players was tackled late. He played advantage. The Blues player got close to the ball first but he still let advantage go on because Glen knows a rugby ball can do funny things. And whoops the ball did just that bad bounce Stormers scored a try. He also knows about tactics in the modern era and what teams do these days as well as the intent when breaking the law. He sees and understand the game from both ends.