James Jones

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
I was out in Italy for the Rome Sevens this last weekend with a couple of Welsh refs and learnt that James Jones has been made redundant.

Can someone who knows more about employment law than me explain the ramifications of this decision? My understanding was that to make someone redundant, there has to be no further need for the position. Does this mean that the WRU will not be able to have any additional full time referees for the foreseeable future??

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Without seeing the contract and job description, it is difficult confirm you are drawing the conclusions you make.

Not doubt WRU will have taken professional advice as well as internally through HR.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes you are correct in redundancy, the post is made redundant.

However I would be very surprised if he was on this contract, usually professional sports players (especially in Wendyball) are self employed but contracted to give services to the club/union. I am not sure how it works for referees.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Not sure - but redundancy does normally mean that the position is redundant - ie surplus to requirements, and so can't be filled by someone else within a reasonable time period.

Though be careful of words used in news stories, or in casual conversation, and there will undoubtedly be a Compromise Agreement somewhere that limits any action Jones may take in return for a decent wedge.

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
The Professional referees at the RFU are emplyed on renewable/year/two-year contract basis so I understand and it's the time of year when they've just been renewed, or not.

I would have thought Jones' contract was not renewed, rather than him being made redundant as others have eluded.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Does this mean that the WRU will not be able to have any additional full time referees for the foreseeable future??
Or they're making room for Leighton Hodges, who was appointed to the IRB JWCs this year.

Either that or Nigel got a big fan bonus for refereeing the H-Cup and they needed to implement some cost-cutting measures!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I would be highly surprised if he has been made redundant as it would apply to your average regular employee.

As noted above, it means that a position has been made redundant. If there are two or more people doing that role or one similar to it, then a risk pool must be established, and the lowest performer - based against objective criteria - must be released. There is also a consultation period, and usually a compromise agreement accompanied by payment (up to 30k sterling tax free the last time I checked)

I'm not sure I would see that happening in this circumstance, and if the WRU did actually have him as a regular employee as opposed to a Contractor, then someone there needs taken outside and beaten.

It could very well that his contract, depending on how it was structured was not renewed or was canceled with payment for any breach.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Simon your UK knowledge is still correct the £30k limit is another example of fiscal drag in the taxation system.

Be careful when you hear redundant - its quite a precise term in an employment sense - but has been broadened by casual chat.

In terms of you can't replace a redeundant role - that's correct - however this 'lack of replacement' time can be as short as 3 months ( the time limit for an ex employee to bring a tribunal claim) and even shorter in certain circumstances.

As others have alluded to a compromise agreement protects both sides of the deal and removes the waiting. I would be surprised if refs aren't on fixed term contracts.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
There is talk of a legal challenge. However, it is unclear as to the exact situation. His continued deployment on the 7s circuit appears to muddy the waters.

It all may come out in the wash in good time.

Scarlet Al

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I would imagine that his contract has not been renewed, as opposed to redundancy. Not sure though.