Japan v Tonga

Speedbird

Referees in Hong Kong
Post Likes
He had warned the Japanese captain on the number of penalties, but Arlidge was onside and so however bad it looked he shouldn't have been penalised. The fact that he was binned further compounds the mistake, but as you say in the context of the game it was the right call, just the call should never have been made at all!

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Follow through on your promises - Don't say anthing you are unwilling to act on.

I am not saying that the penalty was the right decision (he looked onside to me), however with the clear boundaries that DP set out with the Japanese captain I think he had to give the card to maintain presence in the game.

I wonder how many innocent men have gone to the gallows based on this concept

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I was also concerned at the way he spoke to the Japanese captain, is it me or did he look like he didn't really know what DP was saying to him (hence the 10 joining him at times), DP still spoke normally, which I think didn't help.

When dealing with non English speaking teams, the warning should be short and very clear, I don't think DP's was as clear as it could have been.

Mike Whittaker

Referees in England
Post Likes
I was also concerned at the way he spoke to the Japanese captain, is it me or did he look like he didn't really know what DP was saying to him (hence the 10 joining him at times), DP still spoke normally, which I think didn't help.

When dealing with non English speaking teams, the warning should be short and very clear, I don't think DP's was as clear as it could have been.

Would it not be likely that DP had in fact spoken to the captains before the match and have formed a view as to the ability to understand English?

Remember doing an exchange in Yorkshire where I had difficulty understanding the captain but that is a different matter all together...

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes

The Irony that it was the 10 that encroached!

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Indeed.

Mike, you would hope so.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Number 7 and 10 for Japan act as interpreters for the captains that's why they come in for the conversations.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Looking at match in totality, thought Dave Pearson had another excellent performance. Combined firmness, fairness, empathy etc in a balanced way such that neither team can have many complaints. He could have whistled it to a standstill at the breakdown but instead it was a game worth watching.

Of course, with the exception of the YC against Japan's James Arlidge. It was a crock of shite; a completely incorrect call by Pearson at a critical time for the Japanese.

As for two of the tries (one by Tonga in the 6th min, and one by Japan in the 12th min), I cannot see any difference between these two, and the one that AR disallowed for a "double movement" :)nono: ) in the Samoa v Wales match

Agustin

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Having only seen the highlights, I wondered about the Tonga try at 53:45. Was Tonga #6 in front of the ball and impeding Japan from getting in position? I've been in a few discussions lately about how far away obstruction can occur and am keen to hear some other input.

I'm re-watching the game and I had the same ... concern. It certainly looked to me like #6 was purposely impeding the Japanese player, though I'm not sure if it actually made a difference. A borderline call for me.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have only just watched this match. A weird mixture of some good play and too many schoolboy howlers.

The camera work was such that I cannot be sure if Arlidge was offside or not.

For me the first Japan try was illegal. I could see him straightening his legs to push his body forward well after he had been brought to ground with the ball short of the line.