Jonathan Kaplan ..engage?

Lex Hipkins

Post Likes
in the NZ v Aus match yesterday ... JK scrum calling became bizarre ... started off ok but not long into match became ...

Crouch ...touch ...pause ........... hghhggh!

Possibly the word 'Hit' diificult to tell but definitly not 'Engage'

What was he playing at?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
i heard the word "in" at times, rather than engage...

i promise Lex isn't me. no, really. he isn't.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
i thought i heard 'hit' and ;in' at diff scrums .... what is the word down at grass roots ? what should we be saying ?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I think it is just that the only thing the players are interested in is the start of the first syllable, so that is about all he bothered with - or at least that was all he stressed. In practice at that level just about any vocal sound would suffice. "Start on the B of Bang"

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In practice at that level just about any vocal sound would suffice. "Start on the B of Bang"

or the F of Free Kick :biggrin:

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
If it helps, pronounce the last word as "IN-gage" strong emphasis vocally on the first part of the word as typed. :chin:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Lets not too anal about exactly what word is used, a short sharp command word is to prefferred - and if that results in IN-gage then I see no issue.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Lets not too anal about exactly what word is used, a short sharp command word is to prefferred - and if that results in IN-gage then I see no issue.

I'll get anal as & when I see fit, thank you

Davet

Post Likes
Feel free.

Or is that the opposite?

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
"In-gage" - strewth, now I know I can speak Os :wink:

ExHookah

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
I tend to go with "Gage!", which I seem to recall I first heard in use by Mr Arciero.

gillburt

Referees in England
Post Likes
If players are trying to "engage" on the first syllable, it makes sense to change the word to a single syllable noise - that way everyone's happy.

er........

KML1

Ref in Hampshire. Work for World Rugby
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
For reasons linked to the High Court, I'd recommend all UK based referees to stick to the words in the law book!

Davet

Post Likes
Quite - but we don't all use Oxford English.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
For reasons linked to the High Court, I'd recommend all UK based referees to stick to the words in the law book!

Sit up and pay attention guys. If KML 1 says so then that is more than good enough for me. He doesn't say much but when he does, pick up the pearls chaps!

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'll get anal as & when I see fit, thank you

To use the aussie phrase... "I ain't touchin that one!"...PS..no picture required either Dickie!

As for JK...i was not so much worried about his use of "in" , "hit" or whatever...what I was perplexed by was his long drawl of "PAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUSS--A"...with quite a distinct sharp finish to it. Did anyone else notice it (I had to replay it a few times to make sure I was hearing correctly). It would be easy to hear that as a restart to the last word of the sequence...and he wondered why they were engaging early. I won't be copying that one from the elite level!

Staybound

Referees in England
Post Likes
I watched the game, but my mind tended to drift off durng the engagement sequence so long was it.:bday:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

I fully support the advice of our STO and ask all our Societies' referee members to use the words as shown in the IRB Law Book with a clear Hampshire enunciation of the word ENGAGE (if youz wazn't bawn in Hampshire then adapt :biggrin: ) and standard timing as previously trained at our Society Meetings, with a longer pause etc as required for your management needs as and when.