Just my luck

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Well I have just had a call from the London SE re-appointments manager to say my game is off due to a confusion between the clubs and the society. He is trying to find me a game, but at this stage I don't hold out much hope! [fingers crossed - wonders are sometimes worked!]

Shame as I was looking forward to a good run around and was hoping to get all the rust out before 3 tasty games back in Durham next week.

Any games in driving distance of Caterham need a ref?

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sorry- I know about this and have sent you an email as the system doesn't have your phone number on (Or I would have called)

All very annoying (it was caused by the venue being switched from one club to another and both clubs sorting a ref - messages were sent to the society but I guess it got lost in the system)

PS it wouldn't have been a very quick game so not much chance of rust being removed!

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
We have a couple of level 9 friendlies as yet uncovered in Hampshire at 22:00 last night - bit of a hike from Caterham round M25 and down M3 / A3. One at Aldershot and one at Portsmouth.

Have you tried SE-Fed and Kent & Sussex, as well as London ?

Happy to put you in touch with our Re-appts Sec if you can travel as far as us.

see www.hantsrefs.org.uk for contact numbers

sgoat

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Sorry- I know about this and have sent you an email as the system doesn't have your phone number on (Or I would have called)

All very annoying (it was caused by the venue being switched from one club to another and both clubs sorting a ref - messages were sent to the society but I guess it got lost in the system)

Yes thanks for the email. I have since changed my prefered contact details from my email to my phone number. Just one of those things, nobody's fault but annoying none the less.

We have a couple of level 9 friendlies as yet uncovered in Hampshire at 22:00 last night - bit of a hike from Caterham round M25 and down M3 / A3. One at Aldershot and one at Portsmouth.

Have you tried SE-Fed and Kent & Sussex, as well as London ?

Happy to put you in touch with our Re-appts Sec if you can travel as far as us.

see www.hantsrefs.org.uk for contact numbers

I'll leave it till after lunch and see if I can get anything from London. Unfortunately I am still on the London system as a L9 and so am not in the SE Fed. I also might try my old school to see if they have any games.

May give you guys a call if nothing is forthcoming!

ckuxmann

Referees in America
Post Likes
that happened to me, but then I got reassigned to a really nice dirty game that will hopefully be good. Last time I had the teams the 50 year old hooker tried to fight with the 20 year old.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Next week we will actually have a real fight for games in our association. We have approx 70 active referees in our association and TWENTY FIVE (no I am not exaggerating) new recruits have signed up next week for the referee course and membership of our referee association.

I assume not all of them will keep committed but for a while there will be a Team of 3 for nearly every game. At our last meeting we were been trying to find a way of a) dealing with having 25% of our referees being rookies and b) giving everyone a game weekly.

Gonna be interesting. I might be looking to come across the water.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... We have .... TWENTY FIVE ... new recruits have signed up next week for the referee course and membership of our referee association. I assume not all of them will keep committed ....
Out of curiosity, from your experience how many of those 25 will go on to actually referee any games? When I did my Level 1 course in Wales, I would guess that there were about 40 of us taking the course. Of that 40, only about 8 said at the end of the days course that they were interested in refereeing. Of that 8, the ref that took the course reckoned that only about 2-3 would actually follow through and do anything about it. So only approx 7.5% of each course actually ends up refereeing anything - conversely 92.5% effectively drop out. :wow: Given the same proportion, you'll end up with about 2 new refs.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Our experience is that of ELRA (RFU basic ref course) 'graduates' only 15% join our Society - the rest are Club & Schools Refs, at a guess another 10%, coaches wanting to know more about refs to help their coaching, students (uni, college, school) doing sports courses, and players -so no intention of actually reffing.

So on each ELRA course (10-15 delegates each time) we hold in Hampshire each month we get 25% as new refs at Society or Club/School level.

Last season we had 120 on the season's ELRA courses, and we got 18 new Soceity members. Of them 15 have come back this season, 12 of whom did 10 or more matches last season.

So 12 out of 120 became regular(ish) Society Refs in Hampshire. Our conversion figures are higher than the RFU average.

SBCornwall

Referees in England
Post Likes
What does each country use in comparison to our ELRA? And are all courses roughly similar in their structure under the IRB?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
What I have been told is that most countries use a variant of the IRB starter course, and some add their own elements too.

OZ, NZ & SA, plus Wales / Scotland, like RFU have enough refs and central staff to develop their own courses too.

Much of Europe comes under FIRA and they have their own starter ref version done in conjunction with IRB. http://www.fira-aer-rugby.com/

Best way is to look at each country Refereeing web site and see the course content listed - I know Wales, Oz and NZ have them shown.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
What does each country use in comparison to our ELRA? And are all courses roughly similar in their structure under the IRB?

What I have been told is that most countries use a variant of the IRB starter course, ... Best way is to look at each country Refereeing web site and see the course content listed - I know Wales, Oz and NZ have them shown.

Deatails of the WRU courses are HERE if you're interested.