Keeping 15 Players on the Pitch.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
How can you get 6 weeks for LE reduced to SOS, what would the mitigating factors be.

The referee was either correct or incorrect, it was verbal abuse or it wasn't.

A common error some referees make is submitting a player abuse on-pitch dismissal charge, when in fact it was dissent.

I have seen a number of these over the years, which is why we as a Society pre-vet all dismissal reports to ensure the correct Law 10 charge is made with correct supporting evidence.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
A Phil Vickery trip is a classic example. Red or yellow? I also got grief from one of BFG's assessors for awarding a RC for a punch to the face - not done hard enough to justify red.

EXCUSE me, don't bring me into that argument :wink:

I gave 5 RC's before Xmas last season, none after, and lets just say questions were asked :chin:, but as others have said, if you see it you have to give it and all of them were given mid range bans.

There was never any issues with the cards i gave but people did ask if i could have prevented the issues occuring in the first place and this is where the phrase "keeping people on the pitch" comes from, it's not about turning a blind eye it's about spotting the boiling pot and managing the players so they don't force you into a RC.

I have to say, mine were all isolated incidents, they came out of the blue :wink:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I have to say, mine were all isolated incidents, they came out of the blue :wink:

Well; either that, or you were running around in blisfull ignorance of the mayhem behind you at every breakdown :biggrin: :booty:

Bit like women and car accidents. They don't get involved in many, they just see loads in their rear view mirror :shrug: