Kick Off Not Going 10 Metres

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
I've just noticed that in the current version of the laws, if a kick doesn't go 10 metres there doesn't appear an option for the receiving team to play the ball, thereby accepting the kick and playing on.

Here's the current wording

The ball must reach the 10-metre line. Sanction: The non-kicking team has the option of the kick being retaken or a scrum.

Has the "play it and play on" gone?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think it is covered by the referee playing advantage, and then, when advantage is gained, calling advantage over

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
12.7:

"If the ball reaches the 10-metre line but is then blown back or if an opponent plays the ball before it reaches the 10-metre line, play continues"

"Play continues" includes this. If the receiver knocks the ball on as he plays it, it will be a scrum to kicking team at place of infringement.

Last edited:

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
12.7:

"If the ball reaches the 10-metre line but is then blown back or if an opponent plays the ball before it reaches the 10-metre line, play continues"

"Play continues" includes this. If the receiver knocks the ball on as he plays it, it will be a scrum to kicking team at place of infringement.
I am so sorry...its there in black and white. Stand down everyone.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
just as an Aside, I was at my local RL Club last week and an attempt at a short 10M kick didn't go 10 but a defender caught the ball within the 10 and was penalised for doing so! Checked their rules and the ref was right! I never knew that

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
just as an Aside, I was at my local RL Club last week and an attempt at a short 10M kick didn't go 10 but a defender caught the ball within the 10 and was penalised for doing so! Checked their rules and the ref was right! I never knew that
Interesting, got a citing for that one? 🤔

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Interesting, got a citing for that one? 🤔
Law 8.7 (a) Any other player shall be penalised if they: Wilfully touch the ball from a kick off or drop-out before it has travelled ten metres forward in the field of play

jdeagro

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Law 8.7 (a) Any other player shall be penalised if they: Wilfully touch the ball from a kick off or drop-out before it has travelled ten metres forward in the field of play
Am I having a stroke? In my copy of the law book, Law 8 is titled "Scoring", there is no 7(a), it's just 7, and it says "When a try is scored, it gives that team the right to attempt a conversion, which may be a place-kick or drop-kick.".

Are you citing Rugby League per chance?

Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Am I having a stroke? In my copy of the law book, Law 8 is titled "Scoring", there is no 7(a), it's just 7, and it says "When a try is scored, it gives that team the right to attempt a conversion, which may be a place-kick or drop-kick.".

Are you citing Rugby League per chance?
In fairness, the giveaway might have been the bit in bold (my bold added)
just as an Aside, I was at my local RL Club last week