[Law] Kick-off not reaching 10m Line.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Doesn't seem fair to me:

Bad kick: goes 10m but out to the full. Options for the opponents: re-kick, scrum, OR lineout

Awful kick: not 10m AND out to the full. Options for the opponents: re-kick, scrum but NOT lineout

Seems like you are better off with an awful kick :wtf:

Never had anyone take the lineout option in over 20 years.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
I've never seen it either, I've yet to see a KO blown back and straight to touch either. If it happened and the choice is a scrum at the centre or a LO on the opponents' 10, I can imagine teams going for that.

Of course, it's now going to happen in the first half of next season, that's how RR.com works...

MadRef77

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Lineout option is unlikely indeed but still on if your scrum sucks but you have a solid lineout. Of course you still have the QTI option too. I have seen it with my very eyes while ARing: smart second row catches the KO in touch and sprints towards the middle line to take the QTI. Too bad he didn't considered his own momentum and ended up throwing forward otherwise the opposition would have been caught quite off guard.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Too bad he didn't considered his own momentum and ended up throwing forward otherwise the opposition would have been caught quite off guard.

Ah, but which way were his hands facing when he threw the ball? :)

MadRef77

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Ah, but which way were his hands facing when he threw the ball? :)

I reckon you are being sarcastic, but just for the sake of it: I don't think it matters in a QTI, does it?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I reckon you are being sarcastic, but just for the sake of it: I don't think it matters in a QTI, does it?

nah, just having a joke reflecting on the momemtum/forward pass discussions previously. No harm intended

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Never had anyone take the lineout option in over 20 years.

That's either because:-

The captain/players don't know the options available so say scrum be default.

A (thick) prop shouts scrum because that's what he likes.

or perhaps if it's so windy that the ball won't go 10m why would you take a lineout? God forbid one of them might have thought about it!!! :biggrin:

MadRef77

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
nah, just having a joke reflecting on the momemtum/forward pass discussions previously. No harm intended

My bad. I mean ironic but wrote sarcastic.