[Law] Kick-off not reaching 10m Line.

rugbyslave

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I have a question on Kick-off, Team A kick-off , ball does not travel 10m but is blown back into team A's side of the field ball bounces in field and then goes into touch on the kickers 22m . I can find the law regarding not going 10m and blown into in goal and the 5m scrum will be the sanction. The other law only talks about- directly in to touch.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
From memory this is one of those odd ones where the wind blowing it is very specifically mentioned in one scenario, but other similar scenarios it's not mentioned. For me it's not 10, so options - keep it simple, sell the expected decision with confidence and no one will question it.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
didn't go directly into touch so scrum or rekick option.

Law 12.6
[LAWS]The ball must reach the 10-metre line. Sanction: The non-kicking team has the option of the kick being retaken or a scrum.[/LAWS]

Last edited:

rugbyslave

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
didn't go directly into touch so scrum or rekick option.

Law 12.6
[LAWS]The ball must reach the 10-metre line. Sanction: The non-kicking team has the option of the kick being retaken or a scrum.[/LAWS]

We have this, but the problem is why do we allow a 5m scrum if it blows in to kickers in-goal or over the deadball line. I would like to think advantage to non-kicking team would be a quick-line out or line out from where the ball went into touch.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Don't forget the opposition can accept a kick that doesn't go 10m .. by playing the ball, so in this scenario the oppo might try and chase the ball and play the ball before it goes into touch

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
From memory this is one of those odd ones where the wind blowing it is very specifically mentioned in one scenario, but other similar scenarios it's not mentioned. For me it's not 10, so options - keep it simple, sell the expected decision with confidence and no one will question it.

what when the receiving captain says "actually ref Id like to take the lineout on the 22 thanks" ?

(I've my answer...)

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
What about, more realistic, a restart kick that goes into touch at 9m
Either directly
Or indirectly

Is the oppo allowed to accept the kick and have a lineout or QTI ?

I would say yes, in both cases (for direct it's clearly yes, for indirect the law isn't quite clear)

So it must be the same for a ball going -9m ..

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Don't forget the opposition can accept a kick that doesn't go 10m .. by playing the ball, so in this scenario the oppo might try and chase the ball and play the ball before it goes into touch

I would have agreed, until I looked it up and read the law, no mention of accepting the kick, and it says the ball MUST reach the 10 meter line.

13.6 (2017) Used to allow for the play on, but it is no longer part of the law.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
12.7 does

[LAWS]
  • If the ball reaches the 10-metre line but is then blown back or if an opponent plays the ball before it reaches the 10-metre line, play continues.
[/LAWS]

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
but in the OP the opposiion didn't play the ball. it just got blown back into touch on the kickers 22... having not reached the 10m line...

?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Agree, I was referring to thePercy’s tangent. My answer to the OP was ‘not 10’ so options

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Agree, I was referring to thePercy’s tangent. My answer to the OP was ‘not 10’ so options

would your options include a lineout?
does that answer depend on whether the ball bounced or not ?
(law reference please!)

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
would your options include a lineout?
does that answer depend on whether the ball bounced or not ?
(law reference please!)

if it bounces, scrum or retake:

[LAWS]12.6 The ball must reach the 10-metre line. Sanction: The non-kicking team has the option of the kick being retaken or a scrum.[/LAWS]

if it doesn't bounce, then it would seem* scrum, retake or lineout:

[LAWS]12.8 If the ball goes directly into touch, the non-kicking team chooses one of the following:
The kick being retaken.
Scrum.
Lineout.
Quick-throw. [/LAWS]

* I suspect that 12.8 was written for the situation where the ball travels 10, but then goes directly into touch. But I don't really know. If I was faced with the situation of ball not going 10 and going directly into touch, I would apply law 12.6 and not law 12.8

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The law book is a bit clumsy , I think this approach is correct

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If it doesn't go 10 I'm going with scrum of re-kick options, regardless of whether it goes directly into touch or not. 12.8 is after 12.6 and I interpret this as if the kick goes beyond 10 and then directly into touch.

So if it reaches 9m, blown back and then directly into touch in the kickers half, I'm still going with the scrum at halfway or re-kick options.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
To be fair, the law book has been like this for a while.
Not ten comes before direct into touch in the 1990 law book - with the same options.

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
12.6 The ball must reach the 10-metre line. Sanction: The non-kicking team has the option of the kick being retaken or a scrum.

In the 2017 law book it specified the opponents 10m line, in the current book it doesnt in fact it deliberately omits that line.

Technically you could kick the ball backwards over your 10m line, gain possession and play on !

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Agree, my first concern is go 10m, either it does or doesn’t.

MadRef77

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Doesn't seem fair to me:

Bad kick: goes 10m but out to the full. Options for the opponents: re-kick, scrum, OR lineout

Awful kick: not 10m AND out to the full. Options for the opponents: re-kick, scrum but NOT lineout

Seems like you are better off with an awful kick :wtf:

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Doesn't seem fair to me:

Bad kick: goes 10m but out to the full. Options for the opponents: re-kick, scrum, OR lineout

Awful kick: not 10m AND out to the full. Options for the opponents: re-kick, scrum but NOT lineout

Seems like you are better off with an awful kick :wtf:

I believe they do still have the 3 options. As per the clarification 7-2002 https://laws.worldrugby.org/?domain=10&clarification_era=upto&clarlaw=13&clarification=72

The scenario specifically mentions the restart/kick-off ball blown/went directly into touch behind the half-way line and The Powers That Be confirmed that if "the ball goes directly into touch, the opposing team have the three options in Law [retake kick, scrum in centre, throw in where ball went into touch]. The fact that the ball did not go ten metres is immaterial."

They may have tweaked the law a little as it went from 13.9 in 2002 to 13.8 today but I would expect the intent remains the same so we offer the same 3 options (unless the ball ended up in-goal or passed the dead ball line - but that has it's own law.)