[Law] Kicking the ball from a player in possession

SilverMoon

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Is it permissible for a defending player to kick the ball from a player trying to score a try ? if not why in law. Thanks.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
(e)
Tackled near the goal line. If a player is tackled near to the opponents’ goal line so that this player can immediately reach out and ground the ball on or over the goal line, a try is scored.
(f)
In this situation, defending players who are on their feet may legally prevent the try by pulling the ball from the tackled player’s hands or arms, but must not kick the ball.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Try 22.4 (f) It's surely dangerous play.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I would always penalise someone who who tries to kick the ball from a ball carrier's hands .. anywhere on the pitch it's dangerous play

SilverMoon

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
(e)
Tackled near the goal line. If a player is tackled near to the opponents’ goal line so that this player can immediately reach out and ground the ball on or over the goal line, a try is scored.
(f)
In this situation, defending players who are on their feet may legally prevent the try by pulling the ball from the tackled player’s hands or arms, but must not kick the ball.
What if the ball carrier is not tackled and simply diving for the score ?

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1

Not for me. This will almost always be a Penalty Try, and probably a YC.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

It would be totally illogical not to treat he two the same. It's dangerous play and, almost certainly, a PT and a card for me.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I would always penalise someone who who tries to kick the ball from a ball carrier's hands .. anywhere on the pitch it's dangerous play
As Crossref says - it's Dangerous Play, no matter where it happens.

It's just not an issue; I don't think I've ever met a player who thought it was OK to do it. :chin:

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
As Crossref says - it's Dangerous Play, no matter where it happens.

It's just not an issue; I don't think I've ever met a player who thought it was OK to do it. :chin:

A Welsh player did it in, either, the World 7s or the U20 RWC a few years ago. He got away with it! Sometimes we don't see the bear for the backet ball players.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
penalty try and YC is a must.

Showing a card with a Penalty Try is only a "must" if it is deliberate.

In this case that may be so, but be careful of saying "must".

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
NKW, penalty try and YC is a must. PK and it is optional
Clarification 9 of 2004[LAWS][FONT=fs_blakeregular]If a penalty try is awarded as the result of a player unintentionally offending, the player, as well as being liable to cautioning and temporary suspension or send off, can be admonished by the referee. [/FONT]

[FONT=fs_blakeregular]Examples of this may be after penalty tries resulting from: [/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]• mistimed tackle (early or late, but not dangerous) [/FONT]
[FONT=fs_blakeregular]• unintentional reactionary high tackle, but not dangerous.[/FONT]
[/LAWS]

In the light of the other thread on mondegreens, eggcorns, etc, I see "reactionary" as a malapropism.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Showing a card with a Penalty Try is only a "must" if it is deliberate.

In this case that may be so, but be careful of saying "must".

Phil, I am only quoting what it says in 22.17 (b)

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Phil, I am only quoting what it says in 22.17 (b)

22.17 (B) must be read in conjunction with:

10.2 UNFAIR PLAY
(a) Intentionally Offending. A player must not intentionally infringe any Law of the Game, or play unfairly. The player who intentionally offends must be either admonished, or cautioned that a send off will result if the offence or a similar offence is committed, or sent off.
Sanction: Penalty kick
A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise have been scored. A player who prevents a try being scored through foul play must either be cautioned and temporarily suspended or sent off.

It is Intentional offennding and not Foul play as such. Phil's clarification could /should have been written into 22.17 (B) by now.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
22.17 (B) must be read in conjunction with:

10.2 UNFAIR PLAY
(a) Intentionally Offending. A player must not intentionally infringe any Law of the Game, or play unfairly. The player who intentionally offends must be either admonished, or cautioned that a send off will result if the offence or a similar offence is committed, or sent off.
Sanction: Penalty kick
A penalty try must be awarded if the offence prevents a try that would probably otherwise have been scored. A player who prevents a try being scored through foul play must either be cautioned and temporarily suspended or sent off.

It is Intentional offennding and not Foul play as such. Phil's clarification could /should have been written into 22.17 (B) by now.

No, the definition of foul play makes it clear that there are different types of foul play, and unfair play is only one of them. There are other types of foul play that require a PT and 22.17 (b) means, to me, that all of them require a YC, unless there are exceptional circumstances such as not being able to identify the guilty party etc

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
No, the definition of foul play makes it clear that there are different types of foul play, and unfair play is only one of them. There are other types of foul play that require a PT and 22.17 (b) means, to me, that all of them require a YC, unless there are exceptional circumstances such as not being able to identify the guilty party etc

Sometimes not being able to identify them is a good option to take :wink: