knee in the back = YC

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Not a RC ? Really?

Clearly!

hmmm... what message dopes that send? Apart fropm kneeing someone in the back is on a par with a deliberate knock on.

Hmmm...

didds

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Trying to take off my green-tinted spectacles, still think Red.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
During the Scotland game last week Pape seemed to join lots of rucks off his feet diving shoulder first into whoever happened to be in a Scotland shirt - like a Bakkies Botha with hint of garlic.

Not seen yesterday's game yet. Not that it matters but didn't Heaslip get a RC against New Zealand a few years ago for kneeing someone?

Zulu_Bravo

Referees in England
Post Likes
I read this morning that Pape is likely to be cited over the knee in heaslip's back. It's pretty worrying that Wayne Barnes had several viewings of the incident on the big screen and still could not get the decision right.

If the citing is upheld then surely that questions Barnes' competency to referee at this level?

- - - Updated - - -

Not seen yesterday's game yet. Not that it matters but didn't Heaslip get a RC against New Zealand a few years ago for kneeing someone?

Yes, he did. Correctly red carded ... by Wayne Barnes.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
If the citing is upheld then surely that questions Barnes' competency to referee at this level?

to an extent, but you could say the same thing about any successful citing.

peperami

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I found the whole thing interesting. The video is clear and Wayne Barnes correctly calls that it was a deliberate action. He also asks the TMO to confirm he agrees and that we are looking at a Yellow card. I'm sure the TMO's have similar code to the 'let me repeat what I have seen' from a AR, if they think the sanction is wrong.

On a Saturday had I seen that in one of my games I would have issued a RC for the following reason, its a deliberate actiion of foul play and while not always the case the position of the player unable to defend himself and the riskk to the player of injury also would convince me further that its red.

Ben

Zulu_Bravo

Referees in England
Post Likes
to an extent, but you could say the same thing about any successful citing.

Only those successful citiings where the referee has had several viewings of the incident from a number of different angles. .

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
which many (most?) citings at the elite level seem to be.

regardless, WB won't be the only ref to be in this situation and this alone won't be enough to get him demoted.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
To be a little bit fair to WB - the screen in the stadiums are never so clear. And on several of the clips it was hard to see. I think WB even says at one point - "what am I looking at here?" to imply he can't see it clearly.

This is why I full believe the TMO should be on a proper screen (pitch side) with private comms. One of the things the NFL gets right.

A ref will always err on the side of YC rather than RC (don't ruin the game, and let the citing official pick up the pieces). And with no ability for a TMO to say - no - it looks red to me. Especially at test level where the officials are not so used to working together, unlike at Aviva Premiership or Top14 level etc.

Jarrod Burton

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
After watching it maybe 4-5 times it seems clear that player lead with the knee, although its fairly well disguised considering. RC and a lengthy ban.

kellep

Post Likes
Apart of that issue, I think Wayne Barnes made a good job! He even spoke french... very charming :eek:)

All the best from Germany

Peter

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Apart of that issue, I think Wayne Barnes made a good job! He even spoke french... very charming :eek:)

All the best from Germany

Peter
If he speaks French well enough to explain decisions to them during a break, no problem (but I don't think he is at that level).

However during play he should stick to English. Both teams are entitled to know what he is saying, and English is de facto the lingua franca.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I'm in no doubt the intent to 'strike' was there, the subsequent injury severity announcement will likely be a factor in the ending of the six nations campaign for both players.

One of my post match thoughts was 'the irony' of an Irish player being wacked by an opponents boney bits at a ruck or maul, when PoC & co almost perfected this style of "manic" play.

Deserved ban coming me thinks.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

However during play he should stick to English. Both teams are entitled to know what he is saying, and English is de facto the lingua franca.

I see what you did there...

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
A deserved card at the time would have been better.

didds

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes

One of my post match thoughts was 'the irony' of an Irish player being wacked by an opponents boney bits at a ruck or maul, when PoC & co almost perfected this style of "manic" play.

What the French lock did was dirty play, on top of which he is still denying that it was intentional. Paul 'O Connell is an aggressive player, sure. However he always holds his hand up when in the wrong. Manic aggression is allowed on the field of play as far as I'm aware.
How dare you accuse him of being a dirty player? Those who've played rugby will understand there's a difference between the two.

Last edited: