[Law] Knock on

JohnP

Post Likes
Question, is there knock on and forward pass in goal. I remember a conversation with a local society ref a season or two ago who I thought said that those laws didn't apply in goal.
Clarification please as I've just seen mat Tait drop a Carter penalty miss and a 5 m scrum awarded which Racing scored from.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Question, is there knock on and forward pass in goal. I remember a conversation with a local society ref a season or two ago who I thought said that those laws didn't apply in goal.
Clarification please as I've just seen mat Tait drop a Carter penalty miss and a 5 m scrum awarded which Racing scored from.
A knock on is a knock on wherever it happens. Same as a forward pass is a forward pass wherever it happens. There is no 'clarification necessary. There is nothing in the present laws to give exceptions. When they do happen the laws tell you what to do next.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As Baloney said Ko and F PASS as per 'normal ' in goal. Maybe it was a conversation about rucks, mauls, tackles etc that you recall!

Edit. Should of course read 'Balones' but looks better the way auto correct put it ☺

Last edited:

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
As Baloney said Ko and F PASS as per 'normal ' in goal. Maybe it was a conversation about rucks, mauls, tackles etc that you recall!

Edit. Should of course read 'Balones' but looks better the way auto correct put it ☺
And many would say that auto correct was right most of the time. :smile:

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Coach John P,

It is a myth, I'm not sure of its origin. I played in a touch league and the SA league organizers insisted that KO and FP didn't apply in in goal. One SA was a former U21, the other SA still trains players for US Olympic team and coaches a USA prorugby team now defunct)

22.16 Infringements in in-goal
All infringements in the in-goal are treated as if they had taken place in the field of play.
A knock-on or a throw forward in the in-goal results in a 5-metre scrum, opposite the place of infringement.
Sanction: For an infringement, the mark for a penalty kick or free kick cannot be in the in-goal. When a penalty kick or free kick is awarded for an infringement in the In-goal, the mark for the kick is in the field of play, 5 metres from the goal line, opposite the place of infringement.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
A knock on is a knock on wherever it happens. Same as a forward pass is a forward pass wherever it happens. There is no 'clarification necessary. There is nothing in the present laws to give exceptions. When they do happen the laws tell you what to do next.

Good question by JohnP.
Clear & concise and correct answer by Balones.
Hopefully no-one will muddy the waters by going off tangent.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
John P

Here is another law reference

12.1 The outcome of a knock-on or throw forward

(d) Knock-on or throw forward inside the in-goal. If a player of either team knocks-on or throws-forward inside the in-goal, a 5-metre scrum is awarded in line with the place of infringement not closer than 5 metres from the touchline.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
mat Tait drop a Carter penalty miss and a 5 m scrum awarded

Just to be clear: an attacking player had a penalty shot at goal which went wide. A defender attempted to catch the ball in-goal but knocked on. Ref awarded 5m scrum to attcking team. Correct? If so, correct decision.

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Good question by JohnP.
Clear & concise and correct answer by Balones.
Hopefully no-one will muddy the waters by going off tangent.
What if he juggles the ball in goal, the last 'knock' goes backwards before it hits the ground, but is still in front of the first position where he touched the ball? ;)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
its the last juggle position that counts.

he can of course be tackled whilst juggling (CFR Tim Stimpson)

didds

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
its the last juggle position that counts.

he can of course be tackled whilst juggling (CFR Tim Stimpson)

didds
I agree with both comments but I hope my joke doesn't actually start these discussions all over again!!

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
What if he juggles the ball in goal, the last 'knock' goes backwards before it hits the ground, but is still in front of the first position where he touched the ball? ;)

So I'm assuming for that to happen he must be moving backwards as he juggles it? In real time it will probably look like a knock-on so that's what I would be awarding.

That's not the water muddying comment I was talking about:wink:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... It is a myth, I'm not sure of its origin. I played in a touch league and the SA league organizers insisted that KO and FP didn't apply in in goal.
I think it's pretty obvious where the myth started.

Because we are told that the sanction for a KO / Forward pass can't be in-goal, a lot of people just assume the offence can't take place in-goal. It's the same with offside in open play; you'd be surprised (maybe not) how many people believe a player can't be offside in-goal.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Can leggings be worn in-goal?

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
Yes, but you have to have started the game in the same pair of leggings. A cravat is never permitted.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3

The clarification, which you requested, is that the local society ref (as you report his position) was wrong. Always worth seeking clarification for something that has become unclear to you.

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
The clarification, which you requested, is that the local society ref (as you report his position) was wrong. Always worth seeking clarification for something that has become unclear to you.

I find it comforting that Rugbyrefs has reached a consensus, and it is summed uo by Pegleg.

So many posts go undecided, undeclared, unpleasant. This was a delight.