L/0 - Maul positoning

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Did a game last week and I got clattered - which is very unusual for me. Some photos have appeared,

https://oldpriorianrfc.secure-club....stersvsTwickenham5April2014.aspx#!prettyPhoto

From photo 44 onwards.

It was a L/0 in the 22 Green catch and drive. I start in the 5 m line (in essence opposite the defending hooker) the maul forms and they get a good drive on, I scoot round to the open (you can see me looking for the ball)

As it gathers speed I move in goal As green score well you can see red 12 collects me.

I award the try.

Red had a (minor moan) but any views on my positioning - should I have tried to get further 'ahead' of the maul - or remain behind the ball?

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Did a game last week and I got clattered - which is very unusual for me. Some photos have appeared,

https://oldpriorianrfc.secure-club....stersvsTwickenham5April2014.aspx#!prettyPhoto

From photo 44 onwards.

It was a L/0 in the 22 Green catch and drive. I start in the 5 m line (in essence opposite the defending hooker) the maul forms and they get a good drive on, I scoot round to the open (you can see me looking for the ball)

As it gathers speed I move in goal As green score well you can see red 12 collects me.

I award the try.

Red had a (minor moan) but any views on my positioning - should I have tried to get further 'ahead' of the maul - or remain behind the ball?

I have no issue with your positioning there. The only route you are blocking is into the side of the maul, which isn't an issue as it is illegal.

There is no way Red 12 is going to legally prevent that try from being scored so IMO he has just wiped you out to try and buy a scrum.

Jacko

Argentina Referees in Argentina
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
PS. Given you have ARs, well done for being infield of it. It's close enough to touchline for AR to help you out if they unexpectedly score the other side of the maul.

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks Jacko, I reflected on it and couldn't see what else to do - the only saving grace was that I was wearing a radio set and the 12s shoulder was somewhat sore after he collected it!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
photo 11 looks wierd - seems to be six red player in the lineout but only three green ?

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Maintaining clear sight of the ball, and in the right place to award the try.

Great use of opposing positioning with the ARs

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Good positioning to see the try scored.
No way 12 was going to stop the try, so no reason to beat yourself up.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Aside from the obvious delights of #128, I kinda enjoyed seeing picture #91 which really heartens

Either because of my fondness for man love, or because last weeks post match sing-song disrespect is still ringing my ears!!

Two fit sides, a close match, devoid of mud, post match respect.... don't you just luv this sport

PS.......If you dont mind me asking , why...when you've got ARs do you take the front lineout position? , iI'd wanna get to that 1st miss pass collision at 13 PDQ, just a thought .

Last edited:

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Aside from the obvious delights of #128, I kinda enjoyed seeing picture #91 which really heartens

Either because of my fondness for man love, or because last weeks post match sing-song disrespect is still ringing my ears!!

Two fit sides, a close match, devoid of mud, post match respect.... don't you just luv this sport

PS.......If you dont mind me asking , why...when you've got ARs do you take the front lineout position? , iI'd wanna get to that 1st miss pass collision at 13 PDQ, just a thought .

Because experiance / luck tells me 2/4 catch and drive is most likely outcome. Also I back my fitness/speed to get to the 1st breakdown.

I rarely ref with ARs - so I'd be not being truthful if I considered them being there was a factor!

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
personally I do it slightly different and coach it differently. take it for what you will but 10m and in I go to the zipper unless I am expecting something short. if I have trusted ARs I will alert them that they have the short throw - so why be at the front? at the point of your contact with 12 you should have been in goal not at 0 degree with the ball and working back out vs coming in at that time. you spent most of the time trying to get back infield and trying to find the ball. starting at the back you could have simply trotted in goal and then did a semi-circle if needed. you added more work and you got in the way. whether it was material or not - the perception (and reality) is that you got in the way of a player near the goal line.

Great advice. Perception is a big part of what happens out there. Trotting into in-goal and moving around in the semi-circle helps sell that you are calm, cool and collected.