Latest Report

Mickman

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Haven't had many reports done so feel ok about this one - even though there may be a lot to work on. Didn't get to debrief after the game (as Coach had to leave for Representative carnival and I ARd next game) but have cleared up decision of dis-allowed QT - thrower was IN the FoP.

Description of game
A well contested game with Red playing an uninspiring forward 'pick and drive' but contesting every breakdown and Blue willing to use their back-line supremacy. Many of Blues attacking movements broke down due to wayward passing however they were able to string a couple of sorties to register two tries in each half and Red scoring a consolation try right on full time. 18 scrums (1 reset, 1 FK, 1 PK), 26 line-outs (2 not straight, 1 FK), 12 PK (9@T,1@R,1in GP). This was a night game with a cold gentle breeze down the field - markings poor and irregular surface near sidelines.

Management
Communication: This was sound - try to get number into your directions and keep them to a minimum ("less is best") - colour/number action eg "blue 6 roll" - generally this was good. Informing players inside or outside for set play was also evident. Maul direction good "its a maul keep it up". Avoid use of "last feet" - give a direction ' red 10 step' and play advantage if you don't get compliance.
Control: A well controlled game - good protocol @10 min 2H when awarding yellow cards. Maybe deal with the first offender and then call out the 2nd offender. I would have reversed the penalty as the blue player cannot take the Law into his own hands. You got the 1st offense and simply reverse the PK for the 2nd. Checked TJ's at the start but the far side was without one at the beginning of 2H. early 2H red received a PK and kicked it dead - you have to give blue the option of 22 restart or a scrum back on penalty mark.
Advantage: very well played with two tries converted. You didn't call Advantage over on these occasions, no real problem here but be mindful of when does the advantage finish.

Technical
T/R: You had a good focus on the tackler (5PK) and a warning re. repeated offending - well done! Be vigilant here with simple short communication. There was a few non-compliance with off-side of pillars and especially with the backs - get a scan of back-line into your checklist as it was not always evident. Use "colour/number/step" to manage this. There were a few marginal high tackles - no significant foul play - revisit checklist ie. was it a tackle / was it legal etc...
Maul: well managed but when it collapses request to "use it" as it cannot turn back into a ruck - if it isn't appearing then turnover scrum.
Scrum: good no tolerance in 1st scrum on early engagement - maybe emphasize this in prematch as you determine the time of engagement. When scrum wheels towards 90 manage it with "use it" and watch flankers. The 2nd scrum (red feed) blue loose was driving up and disrupting red ball - you got him on the next red reed - good.
Line-out: you managed a fair contest. Only put you hand up when the ball is taken down into a maul, then hold them until the last feet passes the line of touch - on a few occasions they were moving but you might have called it over a little early (see Law 19.9). @18min 2H you disallowed a quick throw after the ball rebounded off the billboard - they used the same ball and no other PERSON touched it and there were not any red players forming at L/O. I thought it was OK (see Law 19.2). Remember when you are at the front position, you should be moving as ball is thrown especially if it is to the back - you have to 'put in' so not to be left behind. This occurred on a couple of occasions. You mixed up your front/back position well.

Summary
M*****, you managed this game very well and are developing into a very sound referee. Your communication is coming along well, just see if you can get number as well as colour and a simple action into your directions eg "blue 6 step". Think about the front line-out position re. movement and take-off and don't use your arm unless ball taken down into a maul or ruck. Get a scan of backs into your ruck/maul checklist.

Comments/ feedback?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Mickman, that is an excellent report with a just a few fine tuning suggestions. Well done.

It is hard to call the player's number when you can't see his back

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Tip:

Look at the 2, 6 & 7 warming up and remember what they look like, 90% of your rucks and tackles will involve them, or they will be on the offside line close to the ruck.

When you see them, you know the number use it to push them and the rest back.

It's only 6 players, and a little bit of effort while doing your warm up will reap lots of benefit.

Mickman

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Cheers. I like the faces idea (I have on a few occasions found myself using headgear when players have a different style/ colour, and as a last resort bright coloured boots - 'red/ blue/ yellow boots step' BUT I realise these are not the best examples to follow). Remembering faces is how I have been able to get a few numbers as AR once or twice with incidents. BUT it did almost bring me undone in my first match of they year when a team had a set of twins playing for them :chin:

Mickman

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
2nd report in as many games. (It seems sending an email query or two to the association development officer about where my refereeing will take me this season has got me some attention...).

I also made a decent size blunder in this game. Knew I had stuffed 'it' as soon as I took a step toward the posts to award the PT. Not staying at the scene of high tackle and managing situ. BEFORE awarding PT.

Referee: M***** Date: 11/06/2011
Result: 36-----29 Venue: ******
Teams: Red vs White
Coach's name: ****** Grade: *** Grade

Description of game
Ground soft, fine day.A very good game of rugby with the Red boys getting up in the final minutes. A game that kept you on your toes as their were a few firey moments, you handled it well.

Management
You said at half time that you were not happy with all the chat, I didnt know whether you meant it was directed at you or just general chat like the players in the Super 15 who never shut up, anyway you didnt show any frustration & controlled the game well.You played advantage well especially when Red scored their try just before half time when you caught White backs up offside.

Technical
T/R/M, overall well managed, be firm on those players in the pillar position & maintain scanning those players not retiring behind h/m foot at r/m, late in the game players were getting tired & the r/m became untidy, players charging into players off the ball,falling on the ball & not staying on their feet.
Scrum, you refereed the scrum well, engagement was good & both packs didnt seem tpo have any problems.
Lineout,set a good gap from the start, hold the backs with a signal until L/O moves off the L.O.T. When a L/O is inside the 22 the best position is at the front & on the defending side even if the ball is thrown in by the attacking team, again the L/O become scrappy late in the game with early lifting, narrow gap & tired/lazy players obstucting.
Foul Play, when you awarded the penalty try for foul play you should have sorted the players who were a little hot under the collar before running accross with your back to them. You will learn from that experiance.

Summary
Very well refereed M*****, considering this is only your second year at the job you obviously have a good knowledge of the game & keen to better yourself, as a coach I enjoy the job when a referee soaks up the input we give.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Just a quick question on the disallowed QT - you say it was because the thrower was infield?

Did you form a lineout with same team throw, or offer the option of throw or scrum to the opposition?

Mickman

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Just a quick question on the disallowed QT - you say it was because the thrower was infield?

Did you form a lineout with same team throw, or offer the option of throw or scrum to the opposition?

Same team. "Managed it".