Law 16.4(a)

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I have to agree with Fat, a new ruck has not formed.

As mentioned earlier, let's look at why the law is there. My assumption is to stop just this sort of thing, a ball leaving a ruck and then being artificially returned by trying to extend the back of the ruck, or moving the ball forward back into the previous ruck.

In my view, 16.4 applies, FK.

I get round this by calling 'ball is out' if I see this happening, although I appreciate I could then be causing a few issues (are the team with the ball now offside/obstructing etc.)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I get round this by calling 'ball is out' if I see this happening, although I appreciate I could then be causing a few issues (are the team with the ball now offside/obstructing etc.)

not sure how that really gets round it, if anything it sharpens the issue -- - - what if you call "ball is out" and then the team put it back in again ....
FK right?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think that would cause confusion. If a scrum half thinks he is about to get caught with the ball he simply binds on to the ex-ruck and the defenders have to retreat, despite having been legally past the offside line. He unbinds to pick up the ball, and they advance again. Hokey-cokey anyone?

This only becomes a problem on the legalistic argument that there is no ruck to put the ball back into. However we know that a ruck does not always fit all the criteria necessary for forming it - WR has said that if all the defenders withdraw, the ruck still exists. Much the simplest thing is to award the FK and stop players creating chaos.

I don't see that as the scenario. If the SH is about to be nabbed as the ball emerges then someone is offside. I see it happening when a late arriving player joins the ruck just as the ball emerges. In that situation I don't see a need to stop play.

I agree that if a SH did as you described I would have a different view.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I see it happening when a late arriving player joins the ruck just as the ball emerges. In that situation I don't see a need to stop play..

I agree with that

It's different from a player, seeing that the ball has come out prematurely, quickly binds over it to put it back in.