[Scrum] Law check - scrum turnover

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Do you think ? I would say 90% of the straight out is back the way it came ?

if that's your biggest issue at scrum time, you might be looking at the wrong things.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
if that's your biggest issue at scrum time, you might be looking at the wrong things.

Whoever said it was my biggest issue at scrum time???

It is a factor you might consider when deciding which side of the scrum to stand, that's all.
Amongst many other factors

Last edited:

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Whoever said it was my biggest issue at scrum time???

It is a factor you might consider when deciding which side of the scrum to stand, that's all.
Amongst many other factors

Another factor which is managing the offside lines for the SHs.

Positioning also depends on a number of other factors such as whether the referee can (and does) scan the backs over the scrum as well as looking behind him and based on an assessment of the way the play is likely to go from the scrum is the referee fast enough to get to the next breakdown when following the ball.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
A nice scrum is where you can stand on the blind side, which will also the side of the SH putting in, which is also the side of a prop who hasn't been binding properly and you want to keep an eye on and is also the side your assessor is standing so he can't see anything you can't see

Sometimes it doesn't work out so nicely

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
you need to speak to my referee coaches who generally state you should be on the put in side and follow the ball round.

This is not universal as a recent Developer comment to me was: "You varied your position from loose to tight head appropriately".

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
well, you actually can't. You'll see squint feeds better from the non-feed side without trying to look through the bodies of 2 SHs

Sorry....my wink wink emoticon not sarcastic enough. Mea culpa.

But while youre there...is that bending down on blind side to peak for squint feed? It mean you take your attention away from the FR and you can miss a whole lot more than a less important squint feed that nobody penalises anyway. So if you were worried about squint feeds you should have already picked it up and dealt with it when you were on the feed side!

Arabcheif

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
I'm just wondering. Is the OP sure the now defending team is def within 5m offside line. Or has the attacking line just changed into a flat defending line?

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm just wondering. Is the OP sure the now defending team is def within 5m offside line. Or has the attacking line just changed into a flat defending line?

I’m sure. They were all offside well within 5m. And under law 6.5a it doesn’t matter, even if I’m wrong I’m right��. I love that law.