Law clarification 7/2015

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I'm glad there has been a clarification, but at the same time it is concerning that there needed to be one. If referees weren't penalising that, it is quite troubling.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Isn't that what Colin Meads was sent off for?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If it needs a 'clarification' then it needs to be actually written into the Laws. I hope we'll see an new item in Law 10 in the next Law book to explicitly state this.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Crossref

Doesn't that happen for all law clarifications - after all we get a new law book every year, surely they are not just changing the pictures. :)

I'll get my coat.
Camquin

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Crossref

Doesn't that happen for all law clarifications - after all we get a new law book every year, surely they are not just changing the pictures. :)

I'll get my coat.
Camquin

alas they don't seem to always do this ...

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I must say for me it has always seemed self-evidently dangerous play and I have always PK it when I have seen it (which TBH is pretty rare).

Crucial

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I'm glad there has been a clarification, but at the same time it is concerning that there needed to be one. If referees weren't penalising that, it is quite troubling.

Except in the in-goal situation it is getting quite common to see defenders sliding in with the feet (and sometimes swinging the boot) in what seems to have become an instinctive attempt to stop grounding. As long as they don't actually dislodge the ball the ref usually moves on with the try although it is plain to see it could have gone horribly wrong.
I think it is good that WR have placed a little warning out there.