[Law] Laws of Rugby Union - 1922

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
A bit of an odd query but worth a try. My club has its centenary year in 2022 and we’ve started planning a series of events to mark the occasion. I’ve been asked to try to track down the laws of the game as they were in 1922. Other than contacting the RFU, any suggestions?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The RFU Reference Library at Twickenham (free entrance - separate from the Museum) has an almost complete set of law books. IIRC there is one missing in the 1920s, but I don't remember which. You can contact the museum, Curator, Phil McGowan, on 0208 892 8877 or museum@rfu.com.

I have a copy of Royds' History of the Laws of Rugby Union and a quick scan (I may have missed some) only revealed one entry from 1922 - a proposal by the RFU to the International Board: "It shall be illegal for more than three players from either side to form up or become part of the front row of a scrummage". (This only applied to a set scrummage, not a loose scrummage, now called a ruck.)

There had been several changes in 1921, and a complete re-write in 1926.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
The RFU Reference Library at Twickenham (free entrance - separate from the Museum) has an almost complete set of law books. IIRC there is one missing in the 1920s, but I don't remember which. You can contact the museum, Curator, Phil McGowan, on 0208 892 8877 or museum@rfu.com.

I have a copy of Royds' History of the Laws of Rugby Union and a quick scan (I may have missed some) only revealed one entry from 1922 - a proposal by the RFU to the International Board: "It shall be illegal for more than three players from either side to form up or become part of the front row of a scrummage". (This only applied to a set scrummage, not a loose scrummage, now called a ruck.)

There had been several changes in 1921, and a complete re-write in 1926.

Thanks OB - something to plan for the next time I'm down south.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
A bit of an odd query but worth a try. My club has its centenary year in 2022 and we’ve started planning a series of events to mark the occasion. I’ve been asked to try to track down the laws of the game as they were in 1922. Other than contacting the RFU, any suggestions?

are you going to try and play a game with 1922 Laws?

nhughes

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Great idea, wonder how they would get on with an old style ball

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
actually I don't think it would be possible to do that, at the club, - for instance I don't think you could have scrums without having the correct sequence, and STE etc etc.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
In 1991 ( I think) Stow on the Wold RFC played a centennial game under 1891 laws. It was fun to watch, even though they didn't get things quite right.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
In 1991 ( I think) Stow on the Wold RFC played a centennial game under 1891 laws. It was fun to watch, even though they didn't get things quite right.

Interesting.
I wonder how they insured everyone .
I guess you can buy one off insurance for anything, but you imagine that somwmmodern safety protocols would be required

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Interesting.
I wonder how they insured everyone .
I guess you can buy one off insurance for anything, but you imagine that somwmmodern safety protocols would be required
AFAIK the problem did not occur to anybody. Do children get insurance before climbing trees (or aren't they allowed to these days?)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
AFAIK the problem did not occur to anybody. Do children get insurance before climbing trees (or aren't they allowed to these days?)

No, but if you held an organised tree climbing competition then that would be different thing, and you would want insurance for that , wouldn't you ?

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
If you have to ask insurers for their permission it is the thin end of the wedge.

[LAWS]This study examined the benefits and risks associated with tree climbing on child development and resiliency. A mixed method survey instrument was administered to parents of children aged 3-13 years who climbed trees. The survey examined demographics, details of tree climbing activities, and the type of injuries that have resulted from this type of risky play. The results indicated that even though tree climbing can result in minor injuries, it is a relatively safe outdoor activity. Children afforded the opportunity to be involved in risky play such as tree climbing grow socially, emotionally, physically, cognitively, and creatively, and have increased resiliency.[/LAWS]

L'irlandais

Post Likes
I like the match officials’ attire at the time.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Open play and lineouts looked quite different then as well.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
A fair number of newsreels available on 1922 rugby.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
All sorted as a result of OB pointing me in the direction of the RFU museum who were extremely helpful.

We did think about trying to do a match in accord with the 1922 laws but the liability issues probably make that a non-starter.

We may well play a match wearing 1922 kit - long shorts and all!

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Glad to be of assistance.

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Last edited:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Interesting. I wonder how they insured everyone.
AFAIK the problem did not occur to anybody.
I think the clue is in the date. Back in 1991 there probably weren't many "Ambulance Chasers" around. These days you can't watch or listen to any media without being bombarded by the "Have you had an accident that wasn't your fault? You can claim compensation for free" type adverts - which IMO just encourages the compo culture. :sad:

Last edited:

L'irlandais

Post Likes
Last edited: