Leave our Sam alone!

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Pukes in cab.
Gets stroppy when the issue of cleaning it up arises.
Calls copper a "white bastard".

If she'd done the same thing that everyone who has been in that position has done and just paid the cleaning fee, none of this would be an issue. On that basis alone, let alone what she said to the cop, she's an [insert epithet of choice]

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Pukes in cab.
Gets stroppy when the issue of cleaning it up arises.
Calls copper a "white bastard".

If she'd done the same thing that everyone who has been in that position has done and just paid the cleaning fee, none of this would be an issue. On that basis alone, let alone what she said to the cop, she's an [insert epithet of choice]
I believe the police officer was called a "stupid white bastard" to be accurate.

This footballer should be forgiven. Curse words or taboo words are stored in our brains at the same location as our fight or flight mechanism.
I suspect this statement was out of fear.

Simon, you have also limited our epithet of choice to one that beings with a vowel.

But the logical thing to do in the case is apologize and pay up for cleaning as you stated.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I find it all very confusing.
Sam Kerr has an Indian grandmother so is only 25% "of colour". Can someone who is 75% white be guilty of racism by calling another white person "white"?
There is now a strong & growing body of opinion that, because of power imbalance, a white person can never be a victim of racism.

We had a similar situation recently where a straight male called another straight male a "c*cksucker" and was accused of making a homophobic slur. Does that even make sense?

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
We had a similar situation recently where a straight male called another straight male a "c*cksucker" and was accused of making a homophobic slur. Does that even make sense?
That all assumes that you know that someone is a straight male, how would you know? Same can quite often be applied to colour? We already know that we can’t judge the intent of the words - but outside of the target of the words, on a pitch there’s 30+ players all taking unpredictable amounts of offence too - best to not say anything really.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'll leave you to choose.

But I like cheese.

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Last edited:

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I find it all very confusing.
Sam Kerr has an Indian grandmother so is only 25% "of colour". Can someone who is 75% white be guilty of racism by calling another white person "white"?
There is now a strong & growing body of opinion that, because of power imbalance, a white person can never be a victim of racism.

Have you been watching Deadwood again?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I believe the police officer was called a "stupid white bastard" to be accurate.

This footballer should be forgiven. Curse words or taboo words are stored in our brains at the same location as our fight or flight mechanism.
I suspect this statement was out of fear.

Simon, you have also limited our epithet of choice to one that beings with a vowel.

But the logical thing to do in the case is apologize and pay up for cleaning as you stated.
I suspect it was born out of being shitfaced drunk (see: puked in cab) rather than anything else.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I suspect it was born out of being shitfaced drunk (see: puked in cab) rather than anything else.
I've been shitfaced drunk and it would never have occurred to me to insult someone by calling them "white". There is a deep seeded inclination for some PoCs to look to play the racist card whenever possible

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

meh. I like cheese.

@didds I didn't realise that was a recognised line to end a thread... I though you were replying to @Dickie E

(Too gutter? Sorry... taxi :censored:)