Leinster v Glasgow

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In what sense? There were no replays and a wide angle but he seemed to flick his leg out near horizontally whilst in the air and caught him in the head (I’m reluctant to use ‘kick’ but it looked like it, possibly more that he was expecting an impact that didn’t come and his leg flailed out), so red card? Not much different to a ball carrier with arm away from the body, if you hit the head whilst flinging body parts about you’re in trouble.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Looks like RC to me. Head contact with force.

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The player has jumped and deliberately lifted his leg high, presumably to prevent other players getting close. By doing this he has then struck a player in the head. In what way is this not a RC?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
by common sense, do you mean that the red card will be backed up with an appropriate ban?

there was a similar incident in the english prem in November 2019 (hadn't realised it was that long ago) with Paolo Odogwu. also a red card (despite the protests by the players). no issue with that one, or the one pasted above.

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
by common sense, do you mean that the red card will be backed up with an appropriate ban?

there was a similar incident in the english prem in November 2019 (hadn't realised it was that long ago) with Paolo Odogwu. also a red card (despite the protests by the players). no issue with that one, or the one pasted above.

I remember it, he got a lot of stick as his reaction to the card wasn’t the best - think he was surprised when it was upheld!

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
A lot of online (idiotic) chatter about this one. Back in my day... Rugby is going soft... Just a bit of footbags, nothing to see...

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Apologies but my original post did not post as I had intended/written!!

I have no issue whatsoever with the card.

I was considering whether if the Blue player had made contact/tackled the jumping White player in the air would the outcome have been different in terms of who would have been penalised!

It's back to the discussion about players jumping for a ball and landing in the space occupied by an opposition player who then gets penalised.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Too many players get away with this foot up jump for the ball.
It should be penalised whether they make contact or not.
Clearly dangerous and the leg /foot is generally deliberately put up there to hit the opponent.
It isn't a natural position.