[Line out] Line out throw goes to the other team

HappyScrummie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
Hi all,

Just a quick one. What would you do if the hooker throws in the line out - but it goes not straight to the other team I.E. curves away from his own team to the opposition jumper?

Does play continue? Is it advantage for a forward throw? Or do you give the opposition captain the lineout/scrum option?

Any advice much appreciated!
HappyScrummie

Christy

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Hi all,

Just a quick one. What would you do if the hooker throws in the line out - but it goes not straight to the other team I.E. curves away from his own team to the opposition jumper?

Does play continue? Is it advantage for a forward throw? Or do you give the opposition captain the lineout/scrum option?

Any advice much appreciated!
HappyScrummie

Play on for me ,
I wouldnt be looking to offer team advantage either .
They just got a free pass ,,
As long as its entered the middle between both sets of shoulders .
( if it was a delliberate action , i would pull it )

VM75

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
HappyScrummie,

I'd Play on, with the following proviso's

a] the non throwing team are playing on & haven't all stopped
b] the poor throw doesn't disadvantage the non throwers team [judgement needed]

ie.. why stop the game if the receiving team are happy to continue?

I'm now thinking that a quick shout of 'advantage' might be smart refereeing.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so wonky throw to the opposition - who knock on catching the squint throw to them?

didds

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Play the advantage - if they can't catch for toffees in the LO then the oppo hooker may be looking for a KO. Of course if they do KO then they get the options for the not straight. Advantage is usually over quickly i.e. they pass it out safely to FH; but if a maul develops with nothing much happening then back to options.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Catch it and they get the advantage of the free possession which its the best advantage that could accrue to them.
KO without catching then they should be given the option (assuming I had spotted it) as no clear advantage obtained from the infringement

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Advantage for not straight, whichever way it wanders. If they get the ball away, advantage over.

damo

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Agree with all this. Don't assume the non throwing team will get a benefit from a crooked throw to their side because they will be expecting it to go straight. Just play advantage as you normally would do for any other offence. If they win the ball and can use it under little or no pressure then it's advantage over.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Play the advantage - if they can't catch for toffees in the LO then the oppo hooker may be looking for a KO. Of course if they do KO then they get the options for the not straight. Advantage is usually over quickly i.e. they pass it out safely to FH; but if a maul develops with nothing much happening then back to options.

Wot he said ^^^^^^^

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Play the advantage - if they can't catch for toffees in the LO then the oppo hooker may be looking for a KO.

So you've actually seen a hooker throw it to the opposition with the expectation that they will knock it on?

Paule23

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Well from this thread sounds like I had a REALLY bad game last week. I had one of these and called it back, not allowing advantage to the non throwing team who clearly caught and were off through the (now defending teams) lines on a decent break. And see my other thread on offside from a kick I also messed up. It's been an 'interesting' start to my season.

On a positive note, team behaviour is up from last year, no significant dissent on either decision despite both clearly being a lot of old cobblers!