[Line out] Lineout over after uncontested maul

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I think assuming that time wasting only applies when the ball is out of play is too big an assumption and is unnecessary.

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think assuming that time wasting only applies when the ball is out of play is too big an assumption and is unnecessary.

I'm not sure about that. I've never given (or even seen) a FK for time wasting when the ball is in play - only ever a scrum (if management has failed).
In what sort of situation would you ping someone for time wasting when the ball's in play?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I'm not sure about that. I've never given (or even seen) a FK for time wasting when the ball is in play - only ever a scrum (if management has failed).
In what sort of situation would you ping someone for time wasting when the ball's in play?
I don't know until I see someone trying to be clever about it. However I see no point in arbitrarily and unnecessarily ruling it out. Why infer into the laws something you claim you don't need? We are often accused of making up the laws (we do). Why add fuel to the fire?

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't know until I see someone trying to be clever about it. However I see no point in arbitrarily and unnecessarily ruling it out. Why infer into the laws something you claim you don't need? We are often accused of making up the laws (we do). Why add fuel to the fire?

Fair enough. You're right that we shouldn't assume it only applies when the ball is out of play, but it does seem to be the case in practice.

TigerCraig

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Funny one I've seen in a low level game here (where there is no added time allowed except in senior 1st Grade) was a team a few points ahead kept booting the ball out over a high fence topped with barbed wire into a private commercial property from where it couldn't be retrieved because the business was closed. League regulations stipulated home team had to have 3 match balls available, which they did. Once these were gone there was a scramble to find more that were of match quality and inflated. It seemed like 20 minutes was lost, but it was probably only 5.

As ref at the time said - "its not my problem, no law against kicking the ball into touch".