Linesman flags

medavidcook

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Hey where do people get there's? In my union we have to get them as union don't supply them

If you can let me know

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I buy mine from e-Bay. See HERE

I think I paid £5 for the first set - with a chunky upvc pole, foam handles and a clip which holds the flags in place, and I think I paid about £2.50 for replacement flags (ie the fabric) as and when I need them.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I just bought some from newitts, £10 including postage

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
maybe rugbyref's could have their own?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have one flag - after a trip to a certain South Yorkshire University left me bereft of his twin - I have never replaced him.

Lots of clubs I visit have a dedicated TJ who in most cases have their own flag so for the times they don't a hand suffices.

A lot of the own flag brigade have a sad cloth version in their cub colours which is no better than an arm anyway in terms of conspicuity.

I like Assoc. Football ones - yellow/orange combo checks/quarters etc - but not to the extent I want to fund the enterprise.

Some of the flags Elite ARs get issued with are pants (little pennants etc) compared to their wendyball bretheren.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I like Assoc. Football ones - yellow/orange combo checks/quarters etc - but not to the extent I want to fund the enterprise.

that's what I have. I find it much easier to referee when
- I can easily see who the TJ is (and inded that I still have a TJ - not always the case as the game goes on)
- I can easily see what he is signalling (and flag down here is clearly as important as flag up)

Flags last forever (or rather until you lose them) they are easily worth £10 to me, as they free my mind to focus on the game.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
It's never occurred to me that it is my job to provide flags.
I'd probably lose them and be buying a few sets a season...... I don't get paid for that

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd probably lose them and be buying a few sets a season...... I don't get paid for that

so you do make sure you have TJs -- but don't mind that they don't have a flag ?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

It makes my life easier if the TJ's have a flag, rather than just waving their arms in the air.
Makes them easier to spot.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
so you do make sure you have TJs -- but don't mind that they don't have a flag ?

I know that was for Ciaran but for me yes.

I've got a yellow/orange hi-viz flag - fantastic.

I've got a 8" x 6" flag in brown, gold and black stripes - good.

I haven't got a flag - never mind.

If everyone stays in their respective techinical areas I don't find it a problem and kicks at goal I'm looking at them anyway. I do find it a bit annoying when teams congragate under the posts and I have a shortarse TJ though - maybe a step ladder and a flag would be good there?

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
If everyone stays in their respective techinical areas I don't find it a problem.

I guess that's the difference.
- I've never refereed a game with a technical area. Just a touchline
- often the TJ is a sub (who hands the flag to another sub when he goes on), other times he will be a spectator (perhaps an injured player, or a dad, or coach) and will look like any other spectator.
- on the touchline will be other subs and other assorted spectators.

If the TJ has no flag I will completely unable to pick him out.
If there are a lot of people on the touchline watching, then a TJ without a flag is almost useless.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
There have been odd occasions when a flag in the hand of the untrained can be just as problematical as non at all - when they think they can flag for knock ons or forward passes -not so much now but when I was well covered in weeds.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Not that it's going to bother me now so much but do advisors take any note of the provision of flags? And/or put the onus on the referee to provide any in lieu of the TJ not having his/her own?

I've never heard of it so I guess not but there's always one! :biggrin:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
It's never occurred to me that it is my job to provide flags. I'd probably lose them and be buying a few sets a season...... I don't get paid for that
You don't have to supply flags, but if you want to make life easier for yourself then I suggest you do. Only once have I had a flag disappear - it was after an U15 school game and the away side lost heavily. Funnily enough the flag the away team had never came back, but after a polite text to their coach it miraculously found it's way back to my office the next day. The poles are indestructible, but the fabric suffers with wear and tear etc. But even I can stretch to £2.50 for a replacement set.

It makes my life easier if the TJ's have a flag, rather than just waving their arms in the air. Makes them easier to spot.
Exactly. And if they're easier to spot, it makes everybody's life easier.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
A basic equipment purchase should be claimable as an expense via your referee society.

some say they shouldn't be expected to fund, & in the lead up to multi- million £ RWC this is even more relevant.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have never had anyone nick a flag.
I have left my flags behind in the changing room a few times though :-(

I don't really have a view as to who 'should' be buying them. Even if the Socirty did (for sake of arguemnt) supply everyone with a pair flags, it would hardly make much difference as I wouldn't expect them to replace the flags after I lost them.

Anyway I bought flags well before I joined the Scoiety.

FWIW - the LSRFUR does have flags for sale to their refs - but seeing as they cost £30 (splutter) I don't suppose they sell many !