Looking for advice

spikeno10

Player or Coach
Post Likes
On Sunday morning I took my son to play in a youth match (U17s level) away from home.
10 minutes into the game the referee (a society one) badly twisted his ankle (possible break) and had to stop. Being the only other person there with a qualification I was asked if I would take over, which I did.
The game was very one sided, the home team winning 54-10.
The only real issue I had was the home coach who ran touch shouted at me for the whole game. At one point Blue (the home team) were around 5 metres out and within the 15 metre channel to the left of the posts they were attacking (the home coach's touchline) and red defender made a tackle which hit the ball but went up and under chin of attacking player. I'd signalled an advantage at this point (maybe wrongly in hindsight) but he'd offloaded and within seconds they had scored.
The coach is screaming at me about a high tackle so I stopped the clock and very loudly asked if I should award a penalty or the try.
That calmed him down.
I awarded the try and he went behind the posts for the kick.
After the kick I asked him to cam to me and suggested that he remained quiet from that point. His team had the habit of appealing for everything which actually ended up with them not getting things as I was missing them whilst listening.....
I suppose I didn't ask the coach to leave as it would have caused a row but do I just draw a line under it?

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
What to do at this point is one question. The real learning point is - you need to get them to Shut the F up as soon as they start, not wait until it gets too much.

You have agreed to take over a game (so both sides agreed to appoint you). You didn't agree to getting "helpful" advice from the opposition coach. So shut him up, get him to stop EARLY doors.

And yes if he had then carried on, report him.

And don't worry about causing a row. If you follow the ATP route from early enough, then there won't be a row worth having from his side.....

leaguerefaus

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
"You're either going to let me ref how I see it, or we can all go home now." Alternatively, you could technically ask for another touch judge - although I don't suspect that would go down very well!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
If youve already established there isnt any other qualified ref present then yum yum lesson time me thinks, i might have been tempted to pause the match , and call him on to the pitch , once he is sufficiently in view of everyone offer him the whistle whilst loudly proclaiming ..... Find another mug to listen to your verbal diatribe - i only came here to watch my son.

If he dare take it, (doubtful) then immediately commence a barrage of, "come on ref, get on with it, what you waiting for, don't you know the laws, there were four offences at your next restart" continue for the next 15 seconds ..... He'll get the message when as soon as they are about to kick off you then remove your players from the pitch .........because the match doesn't have a qualified referee !!!

You can then give him the choice, match continues only if he permanently departs the playing enclosure !

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The coach is screaming at me about a high tackle so I stopped the clock and very loudly asked if I should award a penalty or the try.

Don't do that

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
The only real issue I had was the home coach who ran touch shouted at me for the whole game.
Hi Spike - these are miserable occasions. This coming from the people in authority over one of the teams is particularly bad news, and needs to be nipped in the bud very, very early on. The first time you hear significant "advice" coming from a spectator on the touchline, call the home team manager and alert him to the fact hat his supporters are in breach of the RFU Code of Conduct, and he needs to make it stop before the game has to be abandoned. When it is the coach, warn him immediately that hsi conduct is out of line, and to prevent his ill-discipline spreading to his young charges, you'll have no option but to exclude him from the playing area if it persists. Thereafter, carry out your threat if necessary.

His team had the habit of appealing for everything
Well that's no surprise, given the example they've been set!

I suppose I didn't ask the coach to leave as it would have caused a row but do I just draw a line under it?
I don't think so. You were there as a stand-in, helping out so his team got a game. If in those circumstances he was prepared to abuse you, think what he'd do an appointed ref! I'd speak to the discipline manager at the local Society. Even if you are not a Society referee, they are well aware of these isues, and exist to prtect all refs - even those who are not members and are not appointed. The club needs to be made aware that its people are letting it down, and so I'd write to the Disciplinary chair setting out your disappointment, and letting him know you've raised it with the Society.

Don't let the bar steward diminish your enthusiasm for either the game itself or refereeing in particular.

best wishes

Dixie

PS - causing a row is what referees do best. Don't walk away from it - our job is to do what's right as we see it, regardless of whether the touchline agrees or not. Avoiding the correct decision for4 the sake of a quiet life rarely turns out to be the best policy, IMO.

Last edited:

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The only real issue I had was the home coach who ran touch shouted at me for the whole game.

There lies the problem. Never let the coach run as TJ, and never let a TJ call out (as they get replaced pronto).

'Coach, you either coach or run touch, not both. And as a TJ you don't get to call out. You adjudicate touch and that's all. If you can't be quiet then you better find someone else to do it.'

I'd rather have no TJ at all, than a lippy c@cksucker telling you everything they see against their team.

Last edited:

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If he shut up after you had warned him, personally I would draw a line under it only if he apologised after the game.
If not minimum email to society Chairman as the guy may have a history of abuse until asked to shut up.
The society need to be aware of this behaviour, it could be happenning every week.

Stephen Elliott

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 9
If you follow the ATP route from early enough, then there won't be a row worth having from his side.....

What's the TAP rule (too many TLAs for me)

I'm sure your society and disciplinary committee would prefer you to raise the issue further. It's irrelevant if you could have managed it better / earlier, let's face it you are there for managing the safety of the players and fairness of the game Not to accept abuse.. DO NOTHING sends the message that it's acceptable to him and others, and the next guy might not want to stand up and take the whistle after seeing what happened to you.

I wouldn't referee in a soccer game for money, even if I loved the game... it's never to late to raise the issue ( although it might affect the sanctions against him). You never know, His own club might thank you if he's that annoying.

I operate a zero tolerance policy now, first signs I'll stop the game and tell the captain to talk to his supporters. Very effective

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Spike,

For avoidance of doubt, Dixie's 'RFU CoC' approach post #6 is the preferred method, my ' smack to the face' post at #4 is a brink of abandon nuclear option.

As most have said, stamp on it early, zero tolerance is even in the coaches best interest long term!

spikeno10

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Spike,

For avoidance of doubt, Dixie's 'RFU CoC' approach post #6 is the preferred method, my ' smack to the face' post at #4 is a brink of abandon nuclear option.

As most have said, stamp on it early, zero tolerance is even in the coaches best interest long term!

Thanks,
I liked the subtly of your suggestion.....
I've emailed the other club and received a very welcoming reply indicating that they will deal with it and thanking me for raising it.
Thanks for all of your comments.
spike