Man off ruling - Sorry to dig this one up again

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
OK .... This doesn't concern the ruling, it concerns ' disquiet' preventatives.

Captain hands ref his 'match card' pre kick off, & referee notices that only x1 FR replacement is identified for his team on the match card.

The referee queries this with the captain, pre-empting the 'man off' game scenario & what the outcome would be (effectively the referee is putting the capt 'on notice' )

Is this smart effective pre-game management???, or conversely the referee involving himself unnecessarily in Regs that only the players need to worry about.

[ Ie ... the referee who must simply apply 'MO' correctly if it occurs during the game. ]

Thoughts ???

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Captain hands ref his 'match card' pre kick off, & referee notices that only x1 FR replacement is identified.

Is this smart effective pre-game management???, or conversely the referee involving himself unnecessarily in Regs that only the players need to worry about.
Thoughts ???

Here in Scotland we do not use the man off rule but we do have limits on the number of players allowed in a squad who must be STE FR players, so if a team names 16-18 players on the sheet then 4 players must be identified as FR, if they name 19-22 players then 5 players must be identified as FR trained.

My thoughts would be on looking at the paperwork to comment to who ever hands it over his team's requirements to have the correct number of STE FR players otherwise he will need to drop players as per the Competition regs and this paperwork must be signed by an official from the team, this form must also be sent to the SRU within 48hrs of the match.

My work is then done and I think its better to do it pre game rather than have arguments half way through the match.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
in the competitions I ref in, then during the game it doesn't make any difference how many subs they have on the card -- if we go to uncontested then they cannot replace the player who left the field.

(insufficient subs may cost them league points -- but it makes no difference during the game. Other competitionsa may, of course, have different rules)