Managing racist comments in game.

anbocmorrua

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Any tips on managing this? A competitive and feisty U16s game is nearly over and it is reported by red coach and a supporter that racist comments were heard coming from a blue player directed at a red player. Referee didn't hear the comment and the alleged offender could not be identified.

As game is nearly over ref decided to play out the last couple of minutes. A formal complaint will be made by red coach.

What would you do?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I would manage it the same way I'd manage any alleged serious incident (eg spitting, squirrel grip, etc) irrespective of game time.

I'd blow time off, make a bit of a show of speaking to the Blue captain (and coach for juniors), tell them that I didn't hear/see it but if I do it will be an immediate red card, direct them to pass this on to their players. Once that has happened, I'd restart as appropriate.

[EDIT: If I had ARs I'd make sure they're aware too and I would be alert for either a repeat incident or some sort of retribution on the field]

I wouldn't abandon the game unless an all in brawl ensued.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
what Dickie said
But I would add : immediately after the game make notes of what was said, as - if a report goes in you will be asked about it

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Unfortunately I had to deal with similar in a U16 private schools game this season, reported to me but not heard by me.

I took both captains aside, confirmed the accusation and made it clear that I hadn’t heard it, but what the sanctions would be if I had, and that I would be reporting it.

Immediately post match I got both groups of teachers / coaches together and repeated the excercise.

Worth noting that in RFU land we received this earlier in the season;

All allegations of discrimination (i.e. racism, homophobia etc), whether Age Grade or Adult must be referred to RFU Discipline. Please use the email DisciplineRFU@rfu.com. This applies when in all cases, including those where no sanction is given on field and when the Match Officials have not witnessed the incident themselves.

All safeguarding concerns and queries must come to the safeguarding in box - safeguarding@rfu.com

DBS enquiries - DBSeapp@rfu.com

So I wrote it up and emailed it over, which was acknowledged but I’ve had no further contact

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Seconding what was said above - these days, it’s entirely possible that someone recording the game picked it up.

Not a racist act, but at a Super Regional I AR’d last spring, there was a real bad late hit that was missed by me (because I was a step late coming off the mark after a LO) and the center ref (who was following play going wide).

Ironically, someone recording the game for the YT page of the offender's club had the perfect angle of the hit, the on-site JO found it overnight, and used it to suspend the offender for the championship game.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
As someone who is often the only official on the pitch, I make it clear I can only sanction what I witness - but as per @Dickie E , I would take a moment to report the allegations to the captains, mention it in the match report as an allegation only (just in case there is a pattern) but I’d also send a separate email to my ref assigner just to get it on their radar in case they want to assign a more seasoned ref (or lurk on the lines) in a future match.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
This happened to me when I had Dings Crusaders at Taunton (adults), back in the mists of time.

The complain was made by a flanker. To him, all I could do was say that I hadn't heard it, and my hands were tied. I then called the skippers over and laid out, very exactly, what had happened, and how I couldn't handle it. I was then very specific in telling them that if I saw any hunting going on by players - the flanker being hit hit late or dangerously, for example, or one of the alleged abusers being targeted, I 'd be dealing with that heavily.

The rest of the game passed without incident.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
In England, as per Flish post #4

You must report it even if you don't hear it. Otherwise follow the above advice from everyone.