Managing the Scrum

bcm666

Brian Moore, Ex England International Hooker
Post Likes
This might be kind of a stupid suggestion but would referees feel comfortable actually doing a scrummaging session with a local scrum coach. We get about 30 active referees weekly at out local meetings and have often done practical sessions on positioning.

I think actually getting into a scrum and appreciating a few of them would be an amazing learning experience. We have all hit a ruck and all ran and passed but few of us have played front row rugby.

This is an invaluable teaching tool because it enables referees to experience what a front trow player feels, sees and hears. It is also very useful for explaining how and why certain things are done. I find that once someone has been in a scrum they have a much better understanding of why seemingly small things are important; this especially applies to binding, straight feeds and wheeling.

On another note, we used to make one of the backs go into a few scrums every now and then to make them appreciate that every time they messed about this is what we had to go through.

With regard to the phrase 'take the hit' as i have repeatedly pointed out this is an invention in the mind of the elite referees. Nowhere in the laws does the word 'hit' even appear. The responsibility of a pack is to engage when told to do so under the CTPE and not to shove the scrum away from the mark.

this stuff about not taking the hit is used by stronger packs to say that the other is trying to con a penalty. as i stated earlier, it is actually almost impossible to get a whole pack to walk backwards and if the early shove from the other pack causes them to be pushed away from the mark then so what - they do not have to match it.

A pack can engage very hard and still not go over the mark.

One other poihnt before #I forget it. 'Hinging' referred to earlier - the way to spot this is - immediately before the collapse occured at what angle is the LH'sw torsro - if it is siumply bent over then it is illegal shoulders below hips. I suspect you will also find the TH's chest is square on and reasonably parallel.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Ive also found that a half time cup of tea works wonders. During one rugby game the groundsman brought me and my touchjudges a mug of tea and a few digestives. The biscuits did nothing for me but Ive since taken to brinigng a small flask of tea on the sideline for half time use and it really keeps me in it during the second half.

Why not go the whole hog?
Park your armchair on the half way line and have the TJ warm your slippers for you :rolleyes:

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Thanks for the comments. In the off season there is an association operational review group who takes feedback from the referees on what we could be doing differently.

I've emailed the review subcommittee suggesting that completing a practical scrummaging session in a supervised and secure environment would be beneficial.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Park your armchair on the half way line and have the TJ warm your slippers for you

Damn - I wish I'd thought of that years ago.

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Got positive feedback from my suggestion. It has been noted and will be proposed at the AGM so that is something.

Jacob Mayer

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Great thread, gentlemen. BCM, I too would buy you a beer should you find yourself in Phoenix. It's little hot (and getting hotter) here now. You UK guys would probably melt. :eek:

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
The first time I was in Phoenix, after I picked up a hire car, I pulled up at a traffic light as it turned red and took the chance to turn off the a/c as it was too darn chilly.................................. I turned it back on before the lights went green!

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Last time I was in Phoenix for the SWSOB Tourney, it was November.

About 7pm I stepped out onto the pub's patio to have a smoke. I was in rugby shorts and a light polo shirt and quite comfortable. Suddenly I noticed I was hot. Looked around and noticed patrons on the patio wearing coats and parkas and that I was standing under one of some eight or so gas heaters.